Hmm...never noticed before.

IDLEchild

Don't know where else to put this so here goes.

While typing a response for another thread I came upon an interesting observation. How come we do not put "an" in front of "One". I mean have you ever seen "An one month sentence was given to". I have been taught to stick "An" in front of words starting with A, E, I, O, U but this is the first one I have come across that requires no "An". Sounds too funny? No such weird sounded notes are needed so one is excluded? Other numbers are keeping One's human rights down because one is...well # 1?

Any ideas why? I have never really noticed before untill now.

One doesn't have a vowel sound at the beginning, rather a 'w' sound. :shrug:

There's sometimes 'an' in front of other words that start with a vowel sound like honorable, hors doerves (sp?), historic, I think.

Well "An" in front of historic doesn't make sense because H isn't silent in historic as opposed to Honest. It is not deserving of "an".

IDLEchild said:
Well "An" in front of historic doesn't make sense because H isn't silent in historic as opposed to Honest. It is not deserving of "an".
The "H" is not silent in historic.... :eek6:

You are NOT supposed to use "an" in front of "historic". Just like the 't' in often is supposed to be silent. However, both have been bastardised, and now it seems that it is acceptable to put "an" in front of historic, and pronounce the 't' in often. I blame the Americans. :p

BeardofPants said:
You are NOT supposed to use "an" in front of "historic". Just like the 't' in often is supposed to be silent. However, both have been bastardised, and now it seems that it is acceptable to put "an" in front of historic, and pronounce the 't' in often. I blame the Americans. :p
wtf? Are you shittin' me? :eek6:
I've never heard "history" pronounced without the "H" or the "T".... *feels like she's in an episode of The Twilight Zone*

... except in perhaps Pigmalion (sp?), a.k.a. My Fair Lady on the silver screen... *recalls the song sung by Elisa Doolittle, "Jest yew wiyght, Enrey Iggins, jest yew wiyght...." :p

of·ten ** *P***Pronunciation Key**(ôfn, fn, ôftn, f-)
adv. of·ten·er, of·ten·est
Many times; frequently.

[Middle English, alteration (probably influenced by selden, seldom), of oft from Old English. See upo in Indo-European Roots.]
Usage Note: During the 15th century English experienced a widespread loss of certain consonant sounds within consonant clusters, as the (d) in handsome and handkerchief, the (p) in consumption and raspberry, and the (t) in chestnut and often. In this way the consonant clusters were simplified and made easier to articulate. With the rise of public education and literacy and, consequently, people's awareness of spelling in the 19th century, sounds that had become silent sometimes were restored, as is the case with the t in often, which is now frequently pronounced. In other similar words, such as soften and listen, the t generally remains silent.

I'm guessing that the silent t is more prevalent in the colonies. :shrug: Even so, most people I know pronounce the 't'. The silent H in historical seems to be more an affectation in academic circles; ironic really.

BeardofPants said:
I'm guessing that the silent t is more prevalent in the colonies. :shrug: Even so, most people I know pronounce the 't'. The silent H in historical seems to be more an affectation in academic circles; ironic really.
*slaps palm to forehead* Yeesh... :retard: ... I'm a dope. I thought you were saying there was a silent "t" in "history".

But... I pronounce the "t" in "often" also.... "OFF-ten". Never heard it pronounced without it... perhaps in the midwest... not sure. :eh:

Yep, it's often 'off-en' here, and Chicago certainly is midwest, but if I hear it with a T, it's no big deal. Part of our accent, I guess. Be glad I'm not fluent in gangsta, my neighbors know that... :eek:

FTR, I'd say I do pronounce the H in History, but I didn't like that subject much better than English. :p

Back