HOOWEE

Professur

Last week I tried to buy charcoal ... nothing larger than a 10lbs bag to be had anywhere. My stocks are down to one 18 lbs bag of briquette and half a bag of lump, and then I'm all out.

Professur

I might well need you to. I've already got a couple of pork sides in the freezer waiting for thanksgiving, but I doubt I've the charcoal to finish the job. How much are you paying for 18lbs?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I might well need you to. I've already got a couple of pork sides in the freezer waiting for thanksgiving, but I doubt I've the charcoal to finish the job. How much are you paying for 18lbs?

You know you can use real wood in a charcoal grill, right? Just make sure its not 'lumberyard' wood. Find some fallen limbs from a maple/oak/apple tree and start storing them next to your fireplace wood. If you start now, you may find enough to finish your pork...and you'll add some flavor from the smoke as well. It'll take a bit longer to finish your grilling, but it will be worth it. Just toss the wood on top of the charcoal, and keep it stoked so the temperature of the grill doesn't drop below 195F.

MrBishop

Last week I tried to buy charcoal ... nothing larger than a 10lbs bag to be had anywhere. My stocks are down to one 18 lbs bag of briquette and half a bag of lump, and then I'm all out.
Ceramic briquette plus mesquite wood chips.

I could've sworn that I saw some bags of coal at Club Pricey last week.

MrBishop

Aah...that the BBQ you ended up buying?
Very nice!
I recall a thread about that decision, but didn't recall the outcome.

I'm assuming that you checked the Club Price and Home Depots for coal.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gato's way is better for smoking. I keep a bunch of fallen limbs from the maples all around my property for just this purpose.

tonksy

We just turned off the AC for opened windows. Not such a harbinger as Prof's frost but it's what we mark here in GA.

majestyx

Still in the high 80's to low 90's here during the day and in the mid-60's at night. Hasn't made it to the appropriate temp just yet to turn off the A/C. :blush:

Professur

Gato's way is better for smoking. I keep a bunch of fallen limbs from the maples all around my property for just this purpose.

We keep that sort of thing for heating the house in winter.

I did the tour and came up dry. Most places have already replaced their garden furniture with Christmas decorations. Finally, I resorted to WallyMart and they had stock. Came away with 4 18lbs bags of Royal Oak briquette. I'll probably go back for a few bags of lump, but at 10lbs a bag, I wanted bigger.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
We keep that sort of thing for heating the house in winter.

I'm not talking branches, or cord-wood. Nothing larger than you can break up with your bare hands. You'd be surprised how much smoke those smaller limbs put out, or how long they last...

Prof said:
I did the tour and came up dry. Most places have already replaced their garden furniture with Christmas decorations. Finally, I resorted to WallyMart and they had stock. Came away with 4 18lbs bags of Royal Oak briquette. I'll probably go back for a few bags of lump, but at 10lbs a bag, I wanted bigger.

Thats a bit much. How big of a fire are you making. :eek: :eek:

Professur

Or in early spring for that matter. Yeah, I'm laying in stores. The thing is, that big ass grill takes a lot of coal to run. 2 4lbs chimneys for the main grill, and another for the offset if I'm using that. Then there's the possibility of another brisket before the cold cuts me off for the winter. That's gonna eat a bag all by it's lonesome.