house hunting

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I like the second one, but I've always been partial to ranch-style houses. :shrug: Besides, number three is too close to the street and the neighbors.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I like the 3rd one. and prolly way more bang for the buck if you're planning on fixingupping anyway. And a decent neighbourhood of young families I'd wager.

For move-in-ness, I betcha the first is in the best condition. The first...what's to the right of it? Not a car lot or a store or something? Oh, and the pool isn't fenced. No good.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
I like it too, but there's some question about the well. It's not on city water and sewer.

My French is extremely rusty, so I didn't read any of it. I just looked at the pictures.

Gato_Solo

HomeLAN said:
I like the second one quite a bit. What's the lot size?

Oh, no! Don't ask him that! He'll give you the 'meter' size, and make you convert. :eek:

Inkara1

I also like the second one. And I echo IC's sentiment about how cheap those prices are. You can't even buy a condo around here for twice those prices, in US and not Canadian dollars. You might be able to buy a single-wide in a seniors' trailer park.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Gonz said:
The Ranch...no stairs to climb
I like ranches for just that reason. Not that it' sa major thing now, but it won't be much longer and I know I won't want to be doing stairs. Also look for laundry upstairs, be nice to the wife.

Professur

HomeLAN said:
I like the second one quite a bit. What's the lot size?

501' X 206' IRR. 124861 sq.ft

And it's got a basement, with a finished family room, and workshop.

Housing cost in the Mtl area is about as cheap as you'll find in a good economic region. A similar house in Ottawa (less than 2.5 hours west) are double. Toronto is even worse. But their taxes are lower, and base pay is higher. It all evens out.

Professur

Specifically, it says that the septic system and well and "not conform". But the word they use for the septic system is a rather old and obscure one, which leads me to think cesspit, or holding tank. Unusual on that large a property. There's loads of room for a weeper field. And grouping the well and septic together makes me wonder is perhaps they're finding bacteria in the well.

Professur

Well, just rung off with the agent. #2 is a public offer (probably up for taxes). The septic is something called a dry well. Apparently, it's a large open tank and it's just let to evaporate. Illegal to sell without installing a new system. That's the catch. But there's 2 offers on it already, and if the first isn't accepted, the second will be, so that's gone. #1 is vacant, already. Might go nosing this weekend.

Gato_Solo

:hmm: How rude. It's not all that expensive to replace a septic system there, is it? How far down is the frost line? You could probably do it for about $7500 USD, and add that into the mortgage payment. :shrug: