House, Senate agree to extend Patriot Act

Inkara1

HA! MADE YOU CLICK! Now you know how I felt when I clicked the link.

Apparently only a committee agreed to it, which is why an article with a headline that both houses passed it mentions filibusters and shit.

WASHINGTON - House and Senate negotiators reached an agreement Thursday to extend the USA Patriot Act, the government's premier anti-terrorism law, before it expires at the end of the month. But a Democratic senator threatened a filibuster to block the compromise.
Full story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10405933/

Now they're trying to include it in an anti-meth law. Wonderful.

The anti-meth law is necessary, but now those nasty fuckers are trying to throw the Patriot act renew in with it. Or rather I guess they're trying to put this in with that. I hate gubment sometimes.

catocom said:
I hear ya man.
They ought to pass a law that says they can't tack anything onto a bill.

ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease

I coulda swore it was still in effect.... :confused: (for the pres.)
Or did they try it for the house and senate too???

per Wikipedia
The President of the United States was briefly granted this power by the Line Item Veto Act of 1996, passed by Congress in order to control spending in supplementary clauses attached to appropriations bills that included vital spending measures, which had to be signed or vetoed in entirety. Under the line-item veto law, which took effect January 1, 1997, Bill Clinton became the first president empowered to veto specific spending or certain taxing provisions of legislation. The U.S. Constitution previously allowed a president to veto an entire bill only, perhaps containing many provisions of which he approved, in order to strike down one provision he opposed. It was used once before U.S. District Court Judge Thomas F. Hogan decided on February 12, 1998 that unilateral amendment or repeal of only parts of statutes violated the U.S. Constitution. This ruling was subsequently affirmed on June 25, 1998 by a 6-3 decision of the Supreme Court of the United States in the case Clinton v. City of New York.

I missed the hoopla. :shrug:

for SnP
The Confederate States Constitution of 1861 allowed line item veto.

Back