How do AOL users save pictures from the web?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
This is embarassing... but I can't figure out how to get AOL to save a picture to a file on the hard drive... when I right click and save picture as, it tries to save it as a .ART or .BMP... but names the file .GIF and ends up not being readable in any program...

:tardbang:

(I don't use AOL, but a couple who I've made $110 off of so far for knowing all the answers to their newbie questions does...)

Try opening up IE after you start AOL, you should be able to save them there normally.

my parents are aohellers, i just open up ie once connected and do all the normal sensible things like saving images through that. anything that means i don't have to look at that awful aol interface in fact :D

IE does the same thing as AOL... gives me the option of .ART and .BMP but the filename is usually .GIF or whatever the filename of the pic was originally, but saved in a different format and unreadable in IE or MS Photo Editor (thus unusable by Word)

Yeah, it's called AOL :lol:

So there's no hope for them to save any picture they find on the web, other than a complete reinstall of windows without AOL, or trying to talk them through using Mozilla?

Have you tried using a program like ACDSee or Irfanview to view the pics? Sometimes they'll recognize the format even if it's got the wrong extension.

These people are complete and total computer newbies... they wouldn't know the difference between a file extension and an extension cord...

We all had to start somewhere, but I mean, I don't think they'll wanna go through the extra trouble of an extra program to be able to view images saved from the web if it's possible

Yeah, I understand that. Maybe installing it might fix the buggered up graphics system though, it should replace the graphics codecs, I think.

Hmm, you might be onto something there... maybe the installation of AOL replaces/deletes some graphics codecs

Well, I know it messes with the IE stuff, and is supposed to just introduce the .art files, but it may help.

Have you tried changing the default program for opening gifs? Gif is a proprietary standard (believe it or not) and you have to license the standard for your program to open gifs. With Gimp (a very powerful gnu graphice program) you have to download a separate set of (questionable ownership here) filters to handle gifs.

I assume you've tried opening them with Paint?

Have you tried an image converter?

Back