How do I connect an XBOX 360 to a PC monitor and speakers?

Scn64

I know I'll need a VGA cable to connect to the monitor, but how do I connect to PC speakers? I've been looking for an adapter that will allow you to connect the red and white RCA cables in one end and the male connection for PC speakers into the other. I haven't been having much luck though.

Is it possible to remove the miniplug cable from the amp or is it hardwired?

If you can remove the cable then a male RCA to male miniplug will suffice, just make it long enough so it can reach the amp and the xbox.

If you can't remove the cable, then you can buy a male RCA to female miniplug

I think this might be what I'm looking for --> http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=AdptRfY&preadd=action

The two RCA cables from the XBOX would connect to one end and the PC speakers would connect to the other end.

Your computer speakers have a 1/8-inch plug in order to plug into a computer's sound card, right? If so, that adapter isn't what you need.

What you need is something with two RCA jacks on one and and an 1/8-inch headphone jack on the other.I didn't find the item on RadioShack's site either. However, I found two items that you can combine to make the one. Use this two RCA jack to one 1/8-inch plug adapter (you might be able to find it cheaper in non-gold) and this coupler and it will work.

Or, if you happen to have one of those adapters sitting around that let you plug headphones with a 1/8-inch plug into a 1/4-inch jack (everyone's got at least three sitting around, since so many pairs of headphones come with one) then use that adapter, plus it into the headphone side of this adapter and you're good to go.

Thanks a lot guys! It looks like I have a few options available to me...I just have to decide which one to use.

Just mold all of your ports and mismatched wires together with tinfoil. Some signal is bound to come through... and you can probably cook some tater tots on the heat it generates.

Just mold all of your ports and mismatched wires together with tinfoil. Some signal is bound to come through... and you can probably cook some tater tots on the heat it generates.

Mmmm... tater tots.

BTW, I have two of those cables you need. Male phono (rca) to female mini phone (the 1/8 inch stereo plug Inky referred to that plugs into your computer) is the proper name, Scn64. I got 'em at a computer show but they're kinda hard to find. The ones with a male mini phone plug are a dime a dozen.

any radio shack should have the correct converters. If not they will surely have the ends available so you can make your own (provided you know how to soldier).

That was going to be my next suggestion, that he get the ends and some wire and have a little do-it-yourself fun.

Chic, I think he needs female phono plug ends. If the Xbox is anything like the PS2, there's a proprietary connector at one end, with red, white and yellow male phono plugs at the other end that plug into the female jacks on the back of a TV. So if he got a cable with male phono plugs at the end, he'd need a double-female connector.

See what you mean, Inky. You're right, female phono to female mni phone. Whoda thunk Micro$oft would use something proprietary.

Here you go. If you don't have 5.1 speakers, just use the green mini-phone plug.

Why all this dodgy stuff in the first place? Surely a fine upstanding white boy like you has a tv to plug into and bypass all this bypass.

Why all this dodgy stuff in the first place? Surely a fine upstanding white boy like you has a tv to plug into and bypass all this bypass.

If'n you plug yore ecksbocks into a 'puter monitor you 'uns kin play yore games in HD.

I have just an "ok" standard definition TV. I'd like to get an XBOX 360 but don't want to miss out on all the HD goodness. I already have a decent computer monitor so I decided to go this route rather than drop $1500+ for a good HDTV.

Back