How do I set up a TV as a monitor?

Aunty Em

I want to use my mum's TV instead of a monitor for her computer... do I just connect up the spdif and tune in the TV or what? This is just so I know what to do when it's built.

I'm planning to put it together in a desktop box and use a wireless keyboard and optical mouse so she can sit in comfort while she uses it to surf.... Well she is 70... :)

I can't tell you how, as I've never done it, but...

That is way cool. :headbang:

Most video cards have a S-Video or composite out. You'll need a TV or VCR equipped with line-in feeds, as you wont' be using a tuner.

It has been my experience that TVs don't make good monitors unless they are digital. All the tube televisions I've seen can't duplicate detail like computer monitors can, so text at 800x600, even 640x480 is incredibly fuzzy. Of course, thats all NTSC so maybe PAL is different. :)

Text will be all but unreadable, but graphics won't be too bad. As for hooking it up, s-video or composite video is fine. Does your Mum's TV have a setting for the second video input?

Do you have a relatively decent video card. I recommend you get the all-in-one-wonder video card from ATI. It is designed for that or a video card that has a TV out...as many have a video in. Also does your TV have a S-video output port???.

Buttcrackdivine said:
Do you have a relatively decent video card. I recommend you get the all-in-one-wonder video card from ATI. It is designed for that or a video card that has a TV out...as many have a video in. Also does your TV have a S-video output port???.

I was planning on getting an ATI card as I've found it the best for non gaming purposes, so I'll check out the all in one wonder. Resolution won't be less than 1024 x 768. I will have to check what connections her TV has and the channels available.

As a monitor it'd be useless, text is very very fuzzy and the strain on the eyes would be huge, for a movie machine however it'd be great. 1024x768 might not work i think its 800x600 maximum, but don't quote me on that.

You are best off sticking with a monitor for computers.

I think it could be possible that you'd end up in damaging the tube.

Back