how to question

Dave

how do i disable the integrated or on-board video adapter through the system BIOS?
is this a complicated thing that i can really screw up the computer by doing?

im running windows xp.

i bought a new game that apparently wont run with dual video adaptors. it was a used game that i didnt pay a lot for, so i wont be too upset if if it cant be done easily or the potential problems it may cause.

First, just try unhooking the monitor that's hooked up to the onboard port, that will usually do it.

Otherwise in the bios is usually the best way to do it.

i have the monitor plugged into the new video card. the onboard card still shows up in the control panel> display> settings.
i'm guessing that by altering the BIOS, that would eliminate that all together?

Yep, depends on what Bios you have, but look under Advanced features, then Onboard, should be pretty straightforward.

Delete that device in device manager then disable it in BIOS so windows won't find it again.

ok...i disabled it...now my display is all messed up...i get 800x600 or 1024x768 only and on the larger resolution, i dont see any icons and my wallpaper has a big blue boarder around it....

You can try disabling it in Windows, but Windows is funny, it will most likely find new hardware on one of the next boots and try to reinstall it. As for the blue border, Right click on desktop, Properties, Desktop or Background, and make sure Stretch is selected in the drop down box on the bottom right. For the resolutions, may want to try reinstalling the driver for the video card.

i got it back to normal. i remember this happened when i first put the new video card in.

Hex..i have no idea how to do that.

Some Mb's don't have that jumper, you'd have to have the manual for your motherboard to find the right one, but it's usually just a matter of moving a jumper from two pins to two other pins.

i dont have the first clue as to the type of Mb that is in this machine. i think i'll just leave well enough alone and just give the game away to my brother-in-law or something. like i said, it was a cheap game.
thank you all for the help.

HeXp£Øi± said:
Oh well...i don't think santa would think much of you just giving up like that...

lol

i am not technically proficient enough to go any further than what ive done without running the risk of seriously messing things up.

well, i got a reply from online support. i asked them the same question twice. the first one said i needed to disable the onboard video adapter. the second one said the game doesnt run with dual monitors. i checked the settings and sure enough, it was set for dual monitors. problem solved. game works fine...:retard:

(what is it with having to ask the same question multiple times to get the correct answer?????)

HeXp£Øi± said:
The days are boring without a little fire here or a little shock there...

Yeah, and if it doesn't leave a mark, it wasn't much of a shock now, was it? :D

chcr said:
Yeah, and if it doesn't leave a mark, it wasn't much of a shock now, was it? :D

I hooked up a 3 phase light switch wrong one time. :D
Luckily I didn't get the actual shock, but it blew off all the hairs on one arm. :errrr:

Back