Hunters? A little help, please?

tonksy

I'd like to pick your brain on hunting jackets, the heavy orange polyester/nylon hooded kind by Northwest territory. Is this a good brand? Popular with hunters? Is there any brand loyalty with Northwest territory?
What qualities do you look for in a hunting jacket? Are the orange ones preferrable to the mossy oak cammos?

There's just something wrong with wearing a blaze orange jacket over a camo shirt, pants & face paint.

Two separate questions there, so here goes my input.

It depends on what is being hunted. If it's fair weather sport, then IMO brands aren't as important. On the other hand, if we're goin deer huntin, get the Mossy Oak or similar quality. Get waterproofing, and use it correctly. Do not rely on factory waterproofing. Nothing is more miserable than being stuck up a tree in 35 degree weather during a drizzle with gear that gets wet and gets YOU wet. Mossy Oak is good stuff; Carhartt makes some good gear too, and might be less expensive. Shop the Farmer's Co-Op before you hit the strip malls. Try the bigger pawn shops too.

As far as camo/hunter orange, again it depends on what is being hunted. Hunter orange is designed to be the one color not found in nature. This means you're less likely to get shot by another hunter, but it also is more noticable to game. For deer etc, go camo. You're stationary for the most part, and you need to be undetectable. For duck, dove, etc go orange, as the hunters are afoot and may get in some crossfire.

Try this. Go to a Bass Pro Shop and ask. Bat eyes. Giggle. They'll tell you the right stuff to get. Then go somewhere else and buy it cheaper.

Above all else, and assuming you are not part of the hunting party, no matter how experienced the hunter is, DO NOT allow them out of your house until all their weapons have been test fired, cleaned, and properly serviced. Know the area they plan to hunt and when they plan to be back. Demand that every person in the group knows where the nearest medical facility is. Demand that every last one of them has taken a hunter safety course within the last five to ten years at the very least. Let 'em giggle. It might save their lives. If you're going with them, make sure someone at home knows the wheres and whens and whos.

Hunter orange is designed to be the one color not found in nature. This means you're less likely to get shot by another hunter, but it also is more noticable to game.
Not a hunter, but I thought one of the features of blaze was that its contrast/brightness could not be seen as easily by wildlife than us. Kind of like the red light/night vision thing with humans.

Not so?

To an extent, but I always heard that deer and boar in particular could detect it. I know most of the local black bear hunters won't wear it either, but that might not be the reason. Guess it wouldn't matter for coon.

Now, FROG hunting, I think you are required by law to wear Dale Earnhardt shirts. :D Probably why I quit frog huntin...

To an extent, but I always heard that deer and boar in particular could detect it. I know most of the local black bear hunters won't wear it either, but that might not be the reason. Guess it wouldn't matter for coon.
Are deer colorblind? Perhaps thats the reason....

Interesting.

1. You're trying to outsmart a deer, it doesn't matter what color your clothes are.
2. I stopped hunting while everyone was still wearing orange (or red) vests or jackets. I think it was even a law in NY State. It didn't stop me from getting shot at. It's one of the reasons I quit hunting.
3. I think camo is more popular now. It is among the hunters I know anyway.

1. You're trying to outsmart a deer, it doesn't matter what color your clothes are.
2. I stopped hunting while everyone was still wearing orange (or red) vests or jackets. I think it was even a law in NY State. It didn't stop me from getting shot at. It's one of the reasons I quit hunting.

Perhaps they were trying to tell you something... :D

Oh! And Prof? I browsed the hunting stuff myself and looked at completeds but there were not any orange heavy coats by this brand which concerned me that it may not be a popular brand choice. There was a buncha LL Beans but I gather that they are worn more for fashion than function. Thanks though.

Back