I believe I've mentioned this...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
some time ago. Looks like I'm not the only one thinking that way. All-in-one devices are not the boon you'd like them to be. Sure...I('ll look strange carrying a seperate phone and camera, but...when one has a problem, I won't be without both. You can also have exactly what you want, instead of settling for what someone else compromised to build. ;)

I just got an all-in-one printer/scanner/photo-printer and it kicks ass. If one part of it breaks it's not that big of a deal. It was an incredible deal.

Thanks woot.com!

The missus insisted that we buy a tv-vhs combo when we moved into the new place. I was against it, but let myself be over ruled. Her living room, after all. When the vhs went tits up, I let her live without.

in my opinion, "lab quality" can only come out of one of these, or something more or less similar!

Used_Minilab_Machine_Noritsu_Fuji_K.jpg

then again, i'm spoiled in that regard.

Someone seriously fucked up wrote that ad

My boss just laughed his ass of at that ad. I'll post it for prosperity since it will be gone in a couple hours.

Afterschool Special

The Kodak EasyShare 5100 All in One Printer. That’s what they call me now. It didn’t used to be that way. At the plant everyone said I was “most likely to get ahead”. I tried hard until I could use my 2-cartridge, 6-ink system to print up to 4800×1200 dpi each and every time. I was so proud, and so innocent. I told myself that as long as I could manage 32 pages per minute black and 30 pages per minute color someone would always love me. But then I went out into the world.

My first real job was in that bar. They used me in the office. They didn’t care about who I was. Once they found out I was PictBridge enabled and eager to please… well, a PC wasn’t required. I should have left then, but I guess I enjoyed the attention. All those strangers, telling me my high-density 3,840 nozzle, high-performance permanent printhead was beautiful. It wasn’t a big deal to print up a few lab-quality 4×6 borderless photos. It only took about thirty seconds, and they were always so thankful.

Then one night the boss asked me if I wanted to make a little extra. He took me in the back and showed me a document he wanted me to scan. I’d never done anything like it. I said I was scared and he laughed at me. He said “C’mon, Kodak EasyShare 5100 All in One Printer, it’s only 8½ × 11.7.” I said a USB cable wasn’t included but he laughed again. He had his own, and he knew my software was included. After we were done I couldn’t even speak. He said my CCD scanner was high-def, and that the colors were brilliant and vivid. He complimented my automatic optical character recognition and my fast document scanning. I didn’t say anything. I just wanted to go home and cry.

Soon I was making copies regularly, up to nine at a time. It was easy, my controls were so intuitive and easy to use. I was accepting USB drives from strangers and letting them choose how they wanted it. “Fit-to-page or actual size?” I said that maybe twenty times a day. I was saving them up to 50% on everything they printed but I didn’t even know who I was. It was like my automatic print settings optimized quality for everyone… except for me.

If I had one thing to say to other Kodak EasyShare 5100 All in One Printers out there, it would be to stay away for that world. Go to a nice home office, or to college. It’s not glamorous, it’s not romantic, it’s just a dead end street to a lifetime of cheap ink. I wish I could go back and do it all over again.

*menacing voice
"You cannot resist, you Will follow the market"

Seriously there's not much to be done. The market is wild.

So far I've not seen the projected "one part going out, or not being able to
do like printing if the scanner doesn't work, type thing"

I actually don't see many going bad at all.

I still don't like um much. :D

Back