I feel like a noob

tonksy

We went to see the duck today at a local water area but the girls ended up being more interested in the folks that were fishing. They have been fishing previously at Cat's place and enjoyed it.
We found ourselves at a Walmart later today for cat food and chewable motrin and stopped by the sporting department to look into fishing licenses etc.
Make a long story short, Rob and I have licenses and the girls and I have a pole each - the girls being kiddie poles (princess and barbie).
What has my so confused is twofold.
1. The laws seem to be different here. I told the dude that we didn't need the trout stamp because we would be mainly fishing for catfish etc.....but now it appears that it's more of a location thing that an equiptment thing that decides if you need the stamp? This is confusing and I think we should just go get it to be safe.
2. Apparently I have never compiled my own pole. I fished with whatever was passed my way and dealt with it. Picking a reel was....interesting. A nice gentleman helped me in that department. I couldn't find the weights that I am accustomed to using and ended up with some removable split shot things.
We plan on going no later than Wednesday - the girls wanted to go immediately of course :nuts:
This should prove to be a lot of fun if the girls with stick to it.

Research has shown that where we plan to fish (Chattahoochee River @ the Bull Sluice Lake area) is a designated trout area requiring the special stamp of everyone regardless of what you are after. Also, the entire Chattahoochee is a lure area only. All forms of live bait are illegal as the trout are seriously overfished and hard to keep stocked.

The other pain in the butt is that all forms of alcohol are prohibited from the state park areas... which robs all the fun of my supervisory capacity.

bah. I'll just keep some Old Milwaukee submerged with a brick 20 feet away.

Why no officer... I've no idea who's beer that is.

Learn them young'uns to fish, and then when y'all get up this way we'll take 'em. I'll fish with anybody, anytime, anywhere, love me some fishin I do. We gots trout streams and at least one pond semi-stocked with everything from bass to perch to bluegill to stripe. Some worth eatin, others just fun to watch kids catch.

Thanks SnP!
That's one of the reasons I was so excited to get stocked up again. The girls seemed to love fishing at Cat's place and reeeeally wanted to go again. It's a great outdoor activity as well as a good life skill.

We went to see the duck today at a local water area but the girls ended up being more interested in the folks that were fishing. They have been fishing previously at Cat's place and enjoyed it.
We found ourselves at a Walmart later today for cat food and chewable motrin and stopped by the sporting department to look into fishing licenses etc.

You need fishing licenses?

btw, that's great that you are doing this for the girls ... some people would just brush their kids' interest aside because it's not something they know how to do and don't want to try.

Yes. You need a license. The money bascially pays for the massive breeding, stocking, and release of more fish in the wild as well as their health and management. Our population is 3 times larger with 90% fishing out of lakes, rivers, and streams that can be decimated fairly quickly if not managed somehow. Of course that is on public lands and waterways. Private land can do what they will without a license. You probably don't need a license out there because you are in a body of water 1000 times the size of your islands constantly restocking for you.

Yes. You need a license. The money bascially pays for the massive breeding, stocking, and release of more fish in the wild as well as their health and management. Our population is 3 times larger with 90% fishing out of lakes, rivers, and streams that can be decimated fairly quickly if not managed somehow. Of course that is on public lands and waterways. Private land can do what they will without a license. You probably don't need a license out there because you are in a body of water 1000 times the size of your islands constantly restocking for you.

You'd think that logic would apply (and maybe it does in hawaii) but you need a licence to fish in Newfoundland. Some forms of fishing (jigging) are actually completely banned. Each person is allowed one licence per season and each licence entitles them to a set number of fish off the east coast and a set number off the west coast of the island, for the whole season. This is for Cod Fish (like, THE fish of Newfoundland), I dunno about other fish...Cod are what get my mouth watering.

The fishing grounds in Newfie might be overrun with commercial operations leaving the stocks of fish rather endangered... which either means that the government is trying to protect the fish... or make a fast buck with an arbitrary tax.

btw, that's great that you are doing this for the girls ... some people would just brush their kids' interest aside because it's not something they know how to do and don't want to try.

I am really pleased to have found an outdoor activity besides going to the pool and strip mall shopping that they are interested in.

The fishing grounds in Newfie might be overrun with commercial operations leaving the stocks of fish rather endangered... which either means that the government is trying to protect the fish... or make a fast buck with an arbitrary tax.

The fish are seriously in short supply...commerical fishing has done a number on them. It used to be that you couldn't help but catch Cod, no matter what you were fishing for...but not now. Unfortunately a lot of it has to do with Europeans coming over and fishing just within international waters...nothing we can do about it but it really affects Newfoundland and their livelyhood (many people in small towns rely on fisheries for a job).

The fish are seriously in short supply...commerical fishing has done a number on them. It used to be that you couldn't help but catch Cod, no matter what you were fishing for...but not now. Unfortunately a lot of it has to do with Europeans coming over and fishing just within international waters...nothing we can do about it but it really affects Newfoundland and their livelyhood (many people in small towns rely on fisheries for a job).

Torpedoes and an 'oops' can work wonders for that...:D

This is where were going:

Bull Sluice Lake

Preview: On the north side of metropolitan Atlanta and in the middle of the prime trout fishing water of the Chattahoochee River, Bull Sluice Lake is a series of shallow sloughs that offer good fishing for bream and other warm-water species. Bull Sluice Lake (also known as Morgan Falls Lake or Lake Roswell) is a 500-acre lake upstream of Georgia Power’s small hydroelectric dam on the Chattahoochee River. The dam goes by the name Morgan Falls, hence the confusion about the name of the lake. The lake is generally recognized to be the stretch of the Chattahoochee River from Georgia Highway 9 (Roswell Road) downstream to Morgan Falls Dam. Although the lake is just a stretch of the Chattahoochee River and a collection of several shallow sloughs, the fishing here is very different from the rest of the Chattahoochee around Atlanta. The current in the lake can be very strong, depending on what is taking place at Buford and Morgan Falls Dams. Anglers should use extreme caution navigating the lake. Much of it is extremely shallow and sandbars and shoals lie hidden just below the surface. In most places, the main channel will have 4 to 8 feet of water, but once you get out of the channel, watch out. Use your trolling motor to navigate your way up the narrow side channels leading into the sloughs. Lest you throw caution to the wind and operate your boat in a manner resulting in an unplanned swim, another factor to keep in mind is that even in the summer months, this water is cold. Releases from Buford Dam usually keep the temperature around 60 degrees F in the main channel, with the sloughs slightly warmer. Although Bull Sluice Lake has some of Georgia’s most popular trout water both upstream and downstream of it, most of the fishing in the lake is for warm-water species. Bream are probably the best choice, but largemouths better than 8 pounds have also been caught. Key species: bluegill, redear sunfish, largemouth bass.

© Copyright Kevin Dallmier Published by Falcon Publishing. All Rights Reserved.

Back