I filled up my car with premium

fury

Administrator
Staff member
not knowing it until I saw the meter going past $22 (the most I've ever paid for gas...)

It seems like the car runs better but have I just royally screwed it up by putting in the wrong octane?

Oh, BTW, for those keeping score about my tranny slipping - turns out I was dangerously low on fluid here recently, a quart and a half :mope: filled 'er up and she runs like a beaut :beerbang:

I'd say it's running damn good overall for a car that's got 150k miles on it.

fury said:
not knowing it until I saw the meter going past $22 (the most I've ever paid for gas...)

It seems like the car runs better but have I just royally screwed it up by putting in the wrong octane?

Oh, BTW, for those keeping score about my tranny slipping - turns out I was dangerously low on fluid here recently, a quart and a half :mope: filled 'er up and she runs like a beaut :beerbang:

I'd say it's running damn good overall for a car that's got 150k miles on it.

what type of car?

It should not cause a problem, it can actually be benefical, it burns hotter, therfore burns off some of the extra crap. I was told you should go a full tank of the top stuff once a year.

though my brotherin law hasd some stalling problems on premuim once, but it was a little 4 banger

No, you just wasted money is all. Higher octane is meant for higher compression engines to reduce pre-ignition.

'94 T-bird LX V8 4.6L, auto tranny.

I didn't think it'd screw it up much, at least not as much as it would to fill it up with diesel.

Well at least I learned the lesson while the price on the premium is lower than the price of the regular stuff on a Friday. :beerbang:

fury said:
'94 T-bird LX V8 4.6L, auto tranny.

I didn't think it'd screw it up much, at least not as much as it would to fill it up with diesel.

Well at least I learned the lesson while the price on the premium is lower than the price of the regular stuff on a Friday. :beerbang:

premium will be good for it

my friend had one of those

tranny problems as well

Have him check his fluid level, and check it ten more times to be sure, that's what it took for me to realize I was low. :rofl4:

I do have another problem though.

One time a couple weeks ago when I was sitting in park at a gas station there was an odd-sounding hum coming from the alternator that bugged me. The hum got louder as I turned more electrical stuff on (the headlights, the defroster, the radio, and the blower) and disappeared when I took it out of park. Am I just freaked out by my recent transmission slipping that I'll notice every little single thing in my car now, or is this something I need to check out?

fury said:
Have him check his fluid level, and check it ten more times to be sure, that's what it took for me to realize I was low. :rofl4:

I do have another problem though.

One time a couple weeks ago when I was sitting in park at a gas station there was an odd-sounding hum coming from the alternator that bugged me. The hum got louder as I turned more electrical stuff on (the headlights, the defroster, the radio, and the blower) and disappeared when I took it out of park. Am I just freaked out by my recent transmission slipping that I'll notice every little single thing in my car now, or is this something I need to check out?

after spending $700 on a new alternator, towing, and battery (had to go to a rip off joint cause it was sunday)

I'd check it, jsut in case it's going not something you want to lose inthe middle of a highway

Hmm, I have to admit that I know nothing about the model of car yer drivin' fury........but I do know that puttin' the wrong kinda petrol in a lotta cars fucks the jets in the carburetta.......so if she starts coughin' and splutterin......check that first ;)

It could just be the belt slipping. As you draw more current, it applies a resistance to the alt. Try dribbling a little water onto the belt (tension side) when she's humming. If the noise changes, it's the belt. If it doesn't, have the alt checked. If you can take it off yourself, most parts shops will test it for free. (Yes, if you own the wrenches, you can do this yourself. Start by removing the negative battery cable from the battery. If not, you're get a nasty suprise. Oh, what the hell, remove both cables while you're there, and clean the terminals and cables with a wire brush. Now release the tension. It could be the alt is the tensionner, or there could be a tensionner wheel. Either way, back that off first. Now remove all the cables, having taken photos to make sure you know where each one goes, and which way it goes. (sort of like taking apart a computer). Now, remove the long bolt on which the alt pivots. That's the toughest one. Now don't drop the damn thing. Even if it's toast, there's a trade in on the shell.)

Professur said:
Really? I did not know that.

that is what happened to us

according to canadian tire at least, which means of course there is a 90% chance they where lying, but better safe than sorry

Professur said:
they were lying. Without a doubt.

actually we got the battery tested somewhere else, it was broken, whether it was defective before or not we shall never know

I can see a failed battery taking out the alt, but not the other way around. It just a battery. It's not like there's circuitry in it. It'll run down, and then you recharge it.

but if the alternator is going, it get a charge loses a charge gets a charge, etc. maybe it was the other way around, I just know never to go to Canadian Tire again

I never trust any mechanic. If a garage won't let me in the bay, to watch, I go to another garage. One garage told me I could, but they'd up the hourly by $10. I told him no prob, and went on in. I don't think he was expecting that. He didn't up the bill either.

My father in law knows a bunch of mechanics, so we can trust them, but when the car starts dying on the 15 on a sunday, you don't have much choice, and we needed the car on monday

I had a mechanic I trusted. Right up until he pulled up stakes in the middle of the night and vanished, owing money to half the people on our street. But then, I kept an eye on him too.

Back