I got my nieces computer up and running again...

Aunty Em

I stuck most of my spare parts in it and fortunately it can run on windows own drivers without needing the drivers disk that my sisters partner so kindly took with him. I no longer have the mobo book but I've been in that bios so often I know it by heart. It's only a Cyrix 300 MXII running in 16 colours with no sound but I ordered a S3 Savage 8MB PCI video and 4 channel sound card for £20 and found a 36x cd-rom on ebay for £13 with postage paid (I find older programs sometimes don't like the faster drives). I just need a power lead on Sunday as I was using Katie's to sort it out.

I installed the 2.1GB disc I got for Katie and put 98, some utility programs, Word and Paintshop Pro 7 on it so Rachel can use it for her art course and some games that don't require CDs for Sophie and I'll also get her some school programs as soon as I can. It'll do for now.

Later in the year (nearer Christmas) I'll built them a new Duron as prices are so cheap I can do it for around £175.

Might wanna buy the processor sooner rather then later, since AMD no longer makes Durons. Of course, there's always e-bay...

Justintime said:
Durons are pretty cheap now, overclockers uk have em for a mere 32 quid for the 1.3Ghz, great value! though you can get a Tbred 1700+ for 51 quid which is almost guranteed to overclock a few hundred MHz more, and is 1.47Ghz, might do 2Ghz + even

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_AMD_CPUs_51.html

duron
950 = 21.15
1100 = 24.08
1200 = 27.03
1300 = 29.38
@ Aria

1.2 = 23.92 <<<<
1.3 = 27.73

XP1700+ = £39.43 :D Maybe I'll go for an XP instead.
@ Komplett

Aunty....you went and bought parts for the kids computer before you finished yours?? You're too cool :wink2:

Q said:
Aunty....you went and bought parts for the kids computer before you finished yours?? You're too cool :wink2:

He, he... I'm fussing over whether I'll have enough to get a case on Sunday... :shrug: It'll get done eventually... at least I'm working on a computer. :D

Justintime said:
damn you aunty, those links are good and i just dropped 300 quid on some stuff cause of you :laugh:

I know, I have trouble controlling myself... :lol:

... and I've changed my custom title. :D

So what did you get?

Back