I know, I know...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I've been on about this before, but now, the cost effect can be removed...

In a paper published online Monday in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal, Dutch researchers found that the health costs of thin and healthy people in adulthood are more expensive than those of either fat people or smokers.

Van Baal and colleagues created a model to simulate lifetime health costs for three groups of 1,000 people: the "healthy-living" group (thin and non-smoking), obese people, and smokers. The model relied on "cost of illness" data and disease prevalence in the Netherlands in 2003.

So now we have two of the three main points about smoking being so awful gone. The third? The smell...go figure.

At this point, I say let 'em bitch. Cuz eventually they'll tax the smokers into quitting. Then all those projects that tobacco taxes pay for must be funded from another source, and odds are that one will hit these bastards instead of me. Maybe they'll put a dollar tax on each foot of curbed sidewalk...hallelujia! Maybe it'll be luxury tax on snob-coffee....amen brother! It's too much to dream about, but maybe they'll decide to just go ahead and take a twenty out of your wallet as soon as you walk inside WalMart. I'm all for that'n too. Perchance to dream of the day when the very act of using a credit card carried a $5 tax per purchase, because now that we don't have smokers to tax into starvation SOMEBODY has to pay for all this stuff we built. I say, whack 'em on that American Expense card. I don't use one, so I'm all about it.

PC idiots said:
I don't; therefore I'll make sure you can't.
Gonna bite 'em afore it's all done with...

Back