I love living here

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Sometimes, something comes along that just forces you to realize exactly where you live. I just had one of those moments.

My new probationer was convicted of moonshining! I cannot WAIT to do the home visits! :drink: And naturally, he lives only a couple miles from me...

People think moonshining is a thing of the past...not so. At least not around here. I can't believe they actually caught one though. So much attention being paid to the rampant meth epidemic, it's kinda wild to see that they caught 'em a moonshiner.

Now, you know they were looking for a meth lab and stumbled on to this guys outfit. Hell, I can buy a jug whenever I want even down here in the flatlands. :D

Once a few years ago, my wife mentioned that those two guys in that pickup we just drove by must have been thirsty, they were drinking water out of a plastic milk jug. :lol:

I just pulled some of his paperwork. Seems they had been watching him for awhile, suspecting that he might be up to something down in that basement of his. I guess the coil of copper wire leaning against the shed clued 'em in. He had quite a little setup down there. All propane powered, so no telltale smoke. Hmmm...I got me a couple outbuildings on the place, the cops don't make a habit of hanging around that part of the woods, especially after dark, and it ain't like I'd have to worry about any of the neighbors narcing me out. This might be worth thinking about...I could always apprentice under this feller...

Yeah, it's pretty common even on this side of the border. However, when you compare detahs from bad hooch to deaths from meth, it's absolutely zero contest, and meth is epidemic all through the Smokies.

What's the point?
Everclear.jpg

It's already available ;)

Luis G said:
what's moonshining?? :confuse3:

Making illegal corn whiskey (to avoid being taxed). Usually done at night, hence "moon"shine whiskey, or moonshining. At one time it was quite the cottage industry in the southeastern US, but it's not so prevalent anymore.

Ok, so is it illegal to sell it or just make it? (even if it's for personal use)

I could give quite the historical overview of moonshining in this region, but I'll spare you.

Suffice it to say, back in the day this mountainous region didn't have railroads, so the farmers couldn't get their corn (one of the few crops that will grow on a mountain) to market before it spoiled. Now, corn liquor don't spoil, so...

These days, the primary attraction to it is the novelty of having some moonshine. It tastes alright depending on who makes it and what it is strained through. It's usually a lot stronger than most anything you can buy, save Gonz's Everclear. Some folks prefer it though.

Luis G said:
Ok, so is it illegal to sell it or just make it? (even if it's for personal use)

A person can make a small amount legally with a permit if they state it is for either personal use or "historic preservation" uses. Probably about four people nationwide have the permit though...mostly the ones who get the permit are recognized cultural centers like museums and whatnot.

The illegailty of it arises from the deprivation of tax revenues. The state wants the tax money, and corn liquor ain't usually made by somebody with a tax ID number. I imagine if the cops caught somebody with a pint jar of shine, they'd make 'em pour it out, tell them where they bought it, and let them off with maybe a fine. Mostly though, it's a safe bet that you won't get caught. It ain't much of a cottage industry anymore, so the cops don't waste their time looking for it like they used to. It used to be a dangerous undertaking, for both moonshiner and revenue agent. Many a movie has featured it, including Walking Tall and Thunder Road. NASCAR was primarily organized in its infancy by whiskey drivers, as they were the most able drivers available.

SouthernN'Proud said:
A person can make a small amount legally with a permit if they state it is for either personal use or "historic preservation" uses. Probably about four people nationwide have the permit though...mostly the ones who get the permit are recognized cultural centers like museums and whatnot.

The illegailty of it arises from the deprivation of tax revenues. The state wants the tax money, and corn liquor ain't usually made by somebody with a tax ID number. I imagine if the cops caught somebody with a pint jar of shine, they'd make 'em pour it out, tell them where they bought it, and let them off with maybe a fine. Mostly though, it's a safe bet that you won't get caught. It ain't much of a cottage industry anymore, so the cops don't waste their time looking for it like they used to. It used to be a dangerous undertaking, for both moonshiner and revenue agent. Many a movie has featured it, including Walking Tall and Thunder Road. NASCAR was primarily organized in its infancy by whiskey drivers, as they were the most able drivers available.
taxes, exactly....
Hell they sell the kits to make it, and beer in town here.

It depends on how high in the mountains you go I think.
The apple brandy does bring half again as much more money if sold though.

It does depend on where you are. Corn grows well here, so people made corn whiskey. In the fall, a lot of apple brandy gets made too.

It can even vary by neighboring counties. Here, for instance, people mde more of a sugar whiskey, mostly because even back in the day we had better roads in place and could be a little more selective about it. Since the neighboring county, more famous than we for liquor production, didn't have as good a roadway system, their was more pure corn whiskey. They had to rely more on what was on hand than this county's 'shiners did. So to turn a buck, the ones here changed the product a little so as to sell to different customers.

I take it this guy made his own 'worm', rather than buying a used radiator, and putting the local population at risk.

Back