I miss the dog!

Uki Chick

I was babysitting my cousins 7 years old golden retriever since last tuesday. The dog is a wonderful dog. A little destructive, but all in all a great dog. Just wants to be loved and played with.

Unfortunately, he's with a family with four children that really don't give a damn about him. He sleeps in a garage on a concrete floor every day, gets taken for 5 minute walks because they couldn't be bothered and no one really plays with him or gives him the attention he needs. The poor thing is starting arthritis in his hind legs and has trouble going up and down stairs. I blame it on sleeping on concrete all the time. They aren't even getting him treatments for it.

Anyway, they came to pick him up yesterday. I miss him so much already and it brings a tear to my eyes everytime I think of him being back with a family that doesn't care about him. They keep trying to unload him off on people. If it wasn't for my cats, I'd take him in no problem.

I just don't understand why people take in dogs and then don't care for them properly. If you're not ready for the responsibility, why make the animal suffer. It really enrages me. He couldn't even get into the van yesterday and no one was coming to help him until the 13 year old saw and helped him out. My cousin, who'se 38 just stood there and said "poor thing". Don't f&@#en say poor thing, help him out damn it!

Just needed to vent! I've attached a pic of him playing with a bear I gave him.

Uki Chick said:
A little destructive
he's with a family with four children that really don't give a damn about him.
Most likely, there's your answer as to why he's destructive. Especially for such a docile, affectionate breed like Golden Retrievers. Dogs that are left alone all day and most nights and that have no training or socialization take it out on other things. Shoes, door edges, anything that's wood. Barking. When they get what they want - training and love - they make miraculous turnarounds.

The poor thing is starting arthritis in his hind legs and has trouble going up and down stairs. I blame it on sleeping on concrete all the time. They aren't even getting him treatments for it.
Unfortunately, that is inherent in all retrievers, especially purebreds. They have problems with their hip joints. It's not caused by neglect, but it can be aggrivated by it. Along with people who let them get fat and don't exercise them enough.

If it wasn't for my cats, I'd take him in no problem.
I know what you mean. My sister had a border collie that was the greatest, we would have taken him if we could. Same story, no one paid attention to him and he was too intelligent and too energetic a dog to deal with that kind of environment properly. I miss that guy.

I just don't understand why people take in dogs and then don't care for them properly. If you're not ready for the responsibility, why make the animal suffer.
It's because people don't THINK. They don't think about what it really means to be a dog owner and how much time you should be spending on it. They don't think about what will happen when the kids get tired of their new puppy and it turns into a dog that they consider a nuisiance.

It really enrages me.
Me too. :)

Too right about the hip problem with retrievers, GF. Mine aren't even pure bred and one has problems. People should understand that a dog is a family member. It thinks of you as a pack-mate, an equal (well, an equal with treats, my dogs aren't spoiled or anything:D ). One of my dogs stays in the garage because she prefers that (she has a bed and a place to potty). The other one stays inside at night.

I'm definitely aware of the hip problems. I'm sure that sleeping on a cold concrete garage floor year round doesn't help the situation though. At least if they would take care of the problem by giving him what the vet has instructed.

The dog is very hyper, but what can you expect when you have four children running around as well.

It just saddens me that they took in this dog and are now not willing to take responsibility for him. I really wish I did have the means to take him in and make him my own. I think after a few months of being with me, he'd make a good turnaround.

My dog (Hippo) and the roommates cat (Banjo) learned to live together. Hippo chases Banjo, Bajno either hides behind the couch or on the roof of the house. It works out great.

Professur said:
Then why not? Dogs and cats will learn to live with each other quick enough.

I realize that, but I also have to think about the financial responsibility of taking in a dog as well. Unfortunately, I can't afford it at the moment.

Back