I want this!!

Sports cars just don't come any wilder than this. Nothing else can boast as much power, shift as rapidly or brag as loudly about its potential as the new 240mph TVR Cerbera Speed 12.

The outrageous monster was launched last week by Blackpool-based TVR at the Croft race circuit in North Yorkshire, which usually plays host to the likes of Formula Three, British GTs and Touring Cars. But the Speed 12 brought all activity to a standstill as it burbled down the pitlane and thundered on to the circuit. Successor to the original road-going Speed 12 that debuted at the British Motor Show in October 1996 - but never made it to customers following a change of direction for TVR's GT racing efforts - this car is available for a very select group of petrol heads to order now.

A heady asking price of £160,000 is apparently not deterring interest. Twelve orders are already held, and the company expects to build the ultimate piece of Blackpool rock at a rate of one or two per month. But it'll leave a sour taste in the mouths of Porsche and Ferrari owners. The V12 engine's breathtaking power will ensure performance figures to leave all challengers far behind.

Company chairman Peter Wheeler sees the new Cerbera Speed 12 as a road-going track car for those who are serious about their driving, and in a financial position where they have their pick of any marque. With circuit days where buyers can blow away everything else in mind, Wheeler likes to think of the Cerbera Speed 12 as their only option. He may well be right. The monster is closely related to the GT racing car, and promises formidable handling on top of the devastating straight-line performance. Like the racer, the car is built around an aluminium honeycomb tubular 'tub' which offers formidable strength combined with light weight. Attached is a roll cage similar to the race car's, assuring incredible security and passenger safety in the event of an accident.

Around this assembly, TVR technical director Neil Anderson and the rest of the team have formulated steel tubular section front and rear subframes for the engine plus double wishbone suspension assemblies, fitted with pushrod-operated coils over dampers. Take a look into the back windscreen and you can't help but linger over the car's exposed workings.

The engine, which delivers an awesome set of statistics, is a 90-degree V12 featuring a steel block, aluminium head and four valves per cylinder. A dry-sump lubrication system helps with the packaging constraints and prevents internal oil surge. The naturally aspirated 7.7-litre motor delivers 800bhp at 7,250rpm and the massive 882Nm torque figure arrives at 5,750rpm. This power is channelled to the tarmac through the rear wheels, and discussions are ongoing as to whether an electronic traction control system should be fitted as standard. Perhaps that would be a good idea, along with a substantial rear wing to aid grip through downforce.

With the potential to hit 240mph, serious wheels, tyres and brakes are necessary so the Speed 12 wears 245/40 ZR18 rubber up front and 285/40 ZR18 at the rear. These, combined with the Speedline alloy wheels, must cost more than the average second-hand supermini. Meanwhile, the AP Racing ventilated racing brakes are promised to be up to the task of restraining the beast. Externally, this Cerbera bears a clear resemblance to its predecessor, with strong, no-compromise looks which can polarise opinions. Nevertheless, the latest model's features are mostly functional, taking into account the car's aerodynamic requirements and the need to accommodate the Speed 12's incredibly wide track.

Despite its obvious visual bulk, the Cerbera Speed 12 can tip the scales at just over 1,000kg, which is less than a Ford Focus, for example. So watch out McLaren, this TVR promises to leave the ultimate F1, the Le Mans - and anything else you might mention, for that matter - well and truly trailing behind.

If you're in doubt, compare the performance statistics. The Speed 12's 1,070kg and 800bhp compare to the F1 LM's 1,062kg and 680bhp. No contest. But there's just one small problem... no customer Cerbera Speed 12s have been built yet.

When production does eventually commence, though, there won't be a huge amount of creature comforts for owners. The interior of the first prototype pictured here is extremely rough and ready, with only the bare essentials inside it. However, the firm promises there will at least be two seats, so owners can terrify anyone foolhardy enough to climb aboard for a ride. Beyond the two race seats, an adjustable pedal box helps get the driver comfortable while a STACK analogue rev counter and LED display relay vital information. Electronically adjustable and heated door mirrors, together with a radio/cassette player are included, but all other luxuries are ignored in order to help keep weight as low as possible. As for security, an alarm and immobiliser are fitted to minimise the risk of theft or damage. However, despite the obvious excitement surrounding the monster's debut, a few questions about the Speed 12's future remain unanswered.

Will the factory really have the time and skilled manpower to build it at a predicted rate of one to two cars per month? Will the construction standards be up to those of rivals? And - most importantly of all from the factory's perspective - who will buy the car? Is there really sufficient demand?

As far as the last point is concerned, TVR's head of marketing and communications, Ben Samuelson, seems positive. "We are holding over 10 orders for the car already, and that's before launching it here today," he revealed.

It would be too easy to question the point of making a car like this in the first place. As enthusiasts, we're only too glad to witness the machine making such an awesome debut. But what does concern us is the danger that it could fall into inexperienced hands. Although TVR expects that most examples will be used for track days, owners venturing on to the roads will need deep wallets... and nerves of steel.

tvr.jpg

Yeah, you can sign me up for one of those too. When they start giving them away.

Fucking awesome! There are a couple of the less powerful models ("only" 4.3 litre) that mill around where I live. They sound amazing, even when idling.

British too! :headbang:

Nah, I'd rather have that Burgatti. Faster, more accerleration, bigger engine, and faster gearbox. And it looks way nicer.

Dude, that Bugatti really looks shit, IMO (not to mention the fact that I think it's quad-turbocharged whereas this is NA). Plus.. this ain't a supercar. It's just a scary sportscar. :D

i'd rather buy a ferrari spider or a murciélago.

**Luis would like to point that he would buy one of those if he would have the money** :D

Ah yes, in the British sense it's an "absolutely SOOPA motocar" if you want to look at it like that.

Top hole, old boy. Spiffing... cup of tea, anybody? :)

You want it? You got it ...

*folds my arms together and nods my head*

damn .. my genie skills aren't what they used to be ... oh well ...

:D

Back