I was walking home tonight...

HeXp£Øi±

And walking down a dark street i saw something moving out of the corner of my eye. I looked to my left and sitting on a fence within arms reach was a snow owl. He was facing away from me but had his head turned 180 degrees so to be staring me right in the eye. I must have been somewhat dumbfounded because i kept walking forward down the road for about ten paces. His head kept turning until it must have been 230degrees around when i finally stopped and walked back to him. It was amazing. I could have reached out and touched him and he didn't even flinch. He was huge too, probably 16" tall which would not even be full grown for a snow owl. I probably stood in amazement for three minutes just looking. Wow! What a beautiful bird.

Sadly i didn't get a pic but here's what they look like.

1047.jpg

that is awesome. Eerie, but awesome nonetheless. I'd love that experience.

He didn't call your name, did he?

I saw an owl snatch a rabbit off of my front yard in the dead of night last winter and fly away backlit in the heart of a full moon.

The creepiest thing about him were his eyes. Not used to glaring into eyes that aren't human. It was like a staring contest from the twilight zone. Only reason i can figure he didn't fly away is that he must have at some point been in a bird rehab center somewhere in Alaska and wasn't afraid of people. For a millisecond i thought of holding out my arm to see if he'd fly to me then i had visions of myself as the butt of an otc stupid people in the news thread. "man has arm ripped off by owl". I got a good look at those claws and damn those these are obviously built for ripping and tearing.

HeXp£Øi± said:
The creepiest thing about him were his eyes. Not used to glaring into eyes that aren't human. It was like a staring contest from the twilight zone. Only reason i can figure he didn't fly away is that he must have at some point been in a bird rehab center somewhere in Alaska and wasn't afraid of people. For a millisecond i thought of holding out my arm to see if he'd fly to me then i had visions of myself as the butt of an otc stupid people in the news thread. "man has arm ripped off by owl". I got a good look at those claws and damn those these are obviously built for ripping and tearing.

Ever see a Falconry Glove?

I've seen owls in Panama (living in a hangar), and, believe it or not, in Kuwait (flew low and slow over my head, without making a sound). Never in the states, though I've heard them hooting away in the dark... :devious:

then i had visions of myself as the butt of an otc stupid people in the news thread. "man has arm ripped off by owl".
:D

I have a barn owl living in my shed (the only reason I don't tear it down, actually) and a big one that I don't know the family of that lives close by (not as big as the one you saw though. The big one occasionally buzzes the pool after dark (after bats I assume). Scared the shit right out of me the firist time it happened while I was swimming. :D

I imagine they have to be silent flyers/hunters since they hunt at night and like to swoop in on unsuspecting prey.. He flew from the fence to the ground and straight up to a powerline above my head and even pulling himself up at a steep angle he was stealthy unlike the way the Bald Eagle maneuvers and creates the sound of wooshing air.

A conversation with my five year old daughter this morning. I showed her where i saw the owl last night since it was near her bustop.

Daughter- Where is he now dad?
Me- He's probably at home sleeping. They only come out at night.
Daughter- They're nocturnals dad.

:eek5: lol

HeXp£Øi± said:
A conversation with my five year old daughter this morning. I showed her where i saw the owl last night since it was near her bustop.

Daughter- Where is he now dad?
Me- He's probably at home sleeping. They only come out at night.
Daughter- They're nocturnals dad.

:eek5: lol
that's awesome.

Back