I would like to annihilate Windows Media Player...

Kawaii

Is there any way to do this without fucking up the system completely? 'Cause if you delete the folder it simply regenerates itself(it's a DEMON i tell you!) on the next boot.
Edit: Oh, and Outlook Express too. It's fucking evil. I don't want that crap on my HDD.

Kawaii said:
Is there any way to do this without fucking up the system completely? 'Cause if you delete the folder it simply regenerates itself(it's a DEMON i tell you!) on the next boot.

fdisk...format...install Linux. :D

Been there, done that. I have to keep XPee because many games and programs(Photoshop, Bryce etc) are non-Linux. I'd love to go Linux-only, but i can't at the moment.

Everything I see says that unless you want to do a system restore, you're screwed on the WMP 9.

right click over mplayer.exe, go to the security tab, deny all priviledges to all users :D :D

That won't delete it, but it will stop being a problem.

Gnr. Reason number 102587 why I hate windows:

I spent 10 hours on a dial-up connect downloading their 'updates' for my parents comp. On the LAST one, it waited until it was almost complete, ie, finishing installation, and then HUNG. So, I rebooted, and then realised that it had deleted the internet dial-up connection thingie. No problem. I go to add a new one, and there's no option for dial-up, only broadband. WTF. Rung the ISP helpdesk and all they could suggest was to either trying finishing the installation for the update (which I did, but no banana), or reinstall windows, and not to worry with updates. Problem: I'd already reinstalled windows XP before all these shennanigans because the comp fell on it's head due to a virus....AAAAArrrrrrggghhhh!!!!

Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components

Uncheck WMP and OE.

Click Next.

Oh...and
Kawaii said:
Been there, done that. I have to keep XPee because many games and programs(Photoshop, Bryce etc) are non-Linux. I'd love to go Linux-only, but i can't at the moment.
Not because you can't, but because you won't. ;) :p

Mirlyn said:
Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components

Uncheck WMP and OE.

Click Next.
Nope, that only removes them from the start menu and such, they're still there, lurking evilly.
Mirlyn said:
Oh...and
Not because you can't, but because you won't. ;) :p
:finger:

Kawaii said:
Nope, that only removes them from the start menu and such, they're still there, lurking evilly.

Which is why everything I saw said to run system restore. You can remove 'em that way in Win 98 or 2k, but not ME or XP.

Kawaii said:

They stopped working when I did it to OE, MSN, and Messenger on mine and on all the machines I've done at work. I have to right-click and remove to get them off the start menu. :shrug:

Back