i would like to get a Laptop computer.

BlurOfSerenity

but i dont know which kind to get.

i want it to have a medium-high amount of space.
a fair bit of ram.
it would be nice if it could run XP. so i'd like a pc-type one, you see... not a mac.
and,
i dont want to spend too much money on it.

i was thinking of getting what my friend shannon has... it's an hp something-or-other. it's really cool. i use it a lot when she has me over... i hate its keyboard, tho.

i dunno.

if you dont think you should tell me which one to get, where do you suggest i go for it? best buy (i assume thet have laptops?)? somewhere else?

"plz help."

If you are getting a decent laptop you will spend a pretty penny. No way to avoid it. I have been "getting a laptop" for over a year now. I can't being myself to pay a couple grand for one though and APPARENTLY when the prices around here are converted to USD they are still WAY better than then prices in the states...:shrug:

Aren't you going to college this fall? Usually, the school will have a page on its web site with recommended system specs. These are Fresno State's recommendations.

Your school's recommendations will give you an idea of the minimums to look for. Once that's done, you can go to stores like CompUSA or Best Buy to try out systems. You already mentioned that you don't like HP's laptop keyboards. You might like Compaq's or Toshiba's, though. One problem with mail-order vendors such as dell is that you don't get to try out stuff like that. Once you've decided on a brand and you know what features you want, you can start looking at who has the best price.

It's sort of a bummer now that your brother isn't at CompUSa anymore, since he may have been able to use his employee's discount to help you.

A new computer gives some assurance of not becoming obsolete in the next 4-5 years and should serve a student until graduation. However, if you already have one, your current computer may very well enable you to meet your needs for now and in the next year or two.
:rofl4: 4-5 years? Try 4-5 months. :lol2:

Go with Dell, seriously

I have a PC AND a laptop from them and I am completely satsified. They are very well made computers. The PC is the family computer, but I bought the laptop on my own as a Christmas present. It's an Inspiron 5100 and cost about $1300. They have excellant finance plans if that's what your looking for as well. My payments are $42 a month for two years. Very decent. It has Windows XP, comes with a CD burning program, Microsoft Money, Microsoft Publisher (very cool program), Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, Access). The modem that comes with it is decent if you use dial-up. I love my laptop.

Word on the street is that Dell's newest laptops (at least the business ones, so perhaps the consumer ones as well) get really hot on the bottom.

Inkara1 said:
Word on the street is that Dell's newest laptops (at least the business ones, so perhaps the consumer ones as well) get really hot on the bottom.

That is true. Dell laptops get hot on the bottom, but if you wear pants you can't feel the heat much. Just don't sit it on bare skin and you'll be fine

They pretty much all will get warm. Some more than others. My IBMs are unbearable. Our Dells at work (Latitudes) are just warm to the touch.

buy the slowest cheapest refurbished dell. get the complete care warranty. drop down stairs. let dell send you a better model.

Back