Idiots...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Making a health issue into a racial issue is wrong. Military members have had to deal with the same ban for years. What's the hubbub about, youmayask? Beards.

The officers say the ban is unfair on those with a particular skin condition that reacts to shaving and primarily affects black men.

The condition is called pseudofolliculitis barbae and sufferers who shave can be subjected to rashes, ingrowing hairs and severe irritation.

Sounds simple enough. Provide medical documentation that you suffer from this condition, and you can be transferred to a department in which a beard will not have any bearing on your safety and/or job performance. Otherwise, STFU, tell Reverend Jackson to stay home, and pull up your big girl panties.

Cops have a job that requires certain abilities and skills that few of us could ever hope to develop. As a result of reasonable job expectations, they may be required to wear a mask for their own safety. Can't do that? Maybe yer in the wrong line of work. Maybe you need to consider that before you apply for the position.

Or we could let them do the job sans mask with a signed waiver that when the mustard gas makes them sick they can't sue, because they have Beard Disorder and they freely waive their right to seek damages if they are unable to wear the damn mask.

Either way, it ain't the city's concern...it's the employee's.

I'm sure there is some other city that doesn't have that condition of employment. They could go there & look for a job.

Does any of that really matter? Bottom line is...you have a beard, you can't wear the mask. Its not a racial issue...its a pseudofolliculitis issue. There are alternatives to shaving that will let them keep their jobs. Its called depilatory cream. There's one major brand called "Magic Shave". Used to use it myself.

Two of the plaintiffs, Sgts Shelby Stewart and Kenneth Perkins, said they wore goatees because of the condition.

So not only are blacks more prone to this there facial location is too. What a bunch of HorseShit. I had a beard, when I took my job they told me I had to shave because I may have to wear a SCBA in case of a potential Chlorine leak. Now tell my co-worker who's down because of Cl2 poisoning that because of my facial condition I can't go in and save his ass.

So not only are blacks more prone to this there facial location is too. What a bunch of HorseShit. I had a beard, when I took my job they told me I had to shave because I may have to wear a SCBA in case of a potential Chlorine leak. Now tell my co-worker who's down because of Cl2 poisoning that because of my facial condition I can't go in and save his ass.

Like I said. It's not a race issue. Its a health issue. Its folks like this that make a real race issue something ignorable because they trivialize the matter.

I do concur with Gato on his main point. It's the boy who cried wolf. We hear so many sleazebags hollerin' racism every time they don't get their way that when a true example of it does surface (and it does exist, in every possible direction) we are desensitized to the claim. In a way, it almost enables racist behavior. If people get used to ignoring the claims it's easier to perpetrate.

Back