If only American politicians had the temerity to say such things ...

jimpeel

This is Nicolas Sarkozy, the new president of France speaking before a joint meeting of the House and the Senate November 7, 2007.

SARKOZY (via translator): To the millions of men and women who came from every country in the world and who, with their own hands, their intelligence, and their hearts, built the greatest nation in the world, America did not say, "Come, and everything will be given to you." Rather, she said, "Come, and the only limits to what you will be able to achieve will be those of your own courage, your boldness, and your talent."

The America that we love throughout the world embodies this extraordinary ability to grant each and every person a second chance, another chance -- because, in America, failure is never the last word. There is always another chance. Here, in your country, on this soil, both the humblest and the most illustrious citizens alike know that nothing is owed to them and that everything has to be earned. That is what constitutes the moral value of America.

America liberated us, and this is an eternal debt we owe America.

Every time, whenever an American soldier falls somewhere in the world, I think of what the American army did for France. I think of them, and I am sad as one is saddened to lose a member of one's family.

We need France to be stronger. I am determined to carry through with the reforms that my country has put off for all too long. I will not turn back. I will implement all of them because France has turned back for all too long. I have come to present to you today a France that comes out to meet America, to renew the covenant of friendship and alliance that Washington and Lafayette sealed in Yorktown. Together let us be true to their memories. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I say this to you on behalf of the French people: "Long live the United States of America! Long live France! Long live French-American friendship!"

Now what's that the Liberals say about the world hating us?

America did not say, "Come, and everything will be given to you." Rather, she said, "Come, and the only limits to what you will be able to achieve will be those of your own courage, your boldness, and your talent."

Here, in your country, on this soil, both the humblest and the most illustrious citizens alike know that nothing is owed to them and that everything has to be earned. That is what constitutes the moral value of America.

If only they'd start teaching that in school again. It is so fundamental to our nation yet our own people no longer think that way.

Here, in your country, on this soil, both the humblest and the most illustrious citizens alike know that nothing is owed to them and that everything has to be earned. That is what constitutes the moral value of America.

He forgot to add...

Unless you choose to become an unemployed dope dealing baby factory living off welfare. Then there will be a government movement to provide you everything you want without you having to lift a finger to support yourself or your offspring. This will be financed from the sweat and sacrifice of the honorable American worker, by taking from him and her in ever-increasing amounts and handed to you for you to squander as you please. A chicken in every pot, and spinner rims in every housing project. Free health care, free food, free rent, free education, free job training (like anyone would ever be stupid enough to go to work and give up all this...) free utilities, free clothing, and even a free ride to the voting polls so you can be sure and vote for the driver of the gravy train.

The one guy is the Leader of one of those coutries that people thought hated us. It seems as though many of the leaders being elected over the last few years by those countries are lean right.

So one leader's opinion and right-leaning politicians prove world opinion how?

It doesn't.

World opinion of U.S. sinking
http://www.nola.com/frontpage/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-5/114784645160150.xml

Poll suggests world hostile to US
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2994924.stm

30 of 35 nations oppose U.S. policies.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/columnist/2004-10-17-steves_x.htm

China more popular than U.S. overseas
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8324290/

France at 43% favorable
http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?PageID=801

*still awaiting a time that spike actually tries to prove something positive about the USA using those polls of which he's so fond.

Are you saying you think America sucks?

Nope, I'm saying that Sarkozy's speech doesn't consititute favorable world opinion.

Cerise said:
Doesn't he always?

I don't suppose you could come up with a single example could you? We have some areas we could improve on but that doesn't mean the country sucks.

You are the proof...

I don't think anyone is going to accuse you of being patriotic, ...in the traditional, less progressive enlightened form.

Nope, I'm saying that Sarkozy's speech doesn't consititute favorable world opinion.

Lessee, he's not an American pol. World-check.
He spoke favorably of the US-check.

Seems to qualify.

If the people of France hate the U.S. as much as the Democrats say the rest of the world does; why then would they vote into power a pro-America president?

If the people of France hate the U.S. as much as the Democrats say the rest of the world does; why then would they vote into power a pro-America president?

I don't know, maybe they elect leaders based on qualities other than what they think of the US?

Do you vote for candidates based mainly on what they think of France?

Back