Illinois Governor pardons four on death row

greenfreak

'A manifest injustice has occurred' Clemency expected for other inmates Saturday

From Jeff Flock
CNN

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Illinois Gov. George Ryan Friday pardoned four inmates awaiting execution and is expected to commute the sentences of others on death row Saturday.

"I believe these men are innocent or I wouldn't have pardoned them," Ryan said in a speech at the DePaul University Law School. "The system has failed for all four men and it has failed for all of the people of this state."

Ryan pardoned Aaron Patterson, Madison Hobley, Stanley Howard and Leroy Orange -- men who confessed under police torture and were convicted on the basis of those confessions.

"Now we can say the number of wrongly convicted men is not 13, but 17," the governor said.

"I believe a manifest injustice has occurred," the governor added.

Ryan, a Republican, halted executions in Illinois in January of 2000, expressing concern that there may be innocent people on death row. That move came after 13 inmates on Illinois' death row were set free because they were determined to have been wrongly convicted.

Ryan has another speech scheduled for Saturday at Northwestern University Law School, which, along with journalism students from the university, has been at the center of the fight to free wrongfully convicted death row inmates.

The governor, who leaves office Monday after declining to seek re-election, told CNN he has been reviewing the cases of all 160 inmates on the state's death row, including those who have not sought clemency, and has not yet decided how many sentences he may reduce to life without parole.

"I have not settled on a number," he said. "When I leave here, I am going back to work on the list."

Ryan: 'There isn't any doubt'
Friday's pardons mean the four men will be released from prison, although it is unclear exactly when. All but Howard, who was convicted of a separate crime, were expected to be released Friday.

"My power to grant these pardons is constitutionally provided," Ryan said. "There isn't any doubt in my mind these four men were wrongfully prosecuted, and wrongfully sentenced to die."

Patterson and Hobley are now on death row at the Illinois State Correctional Center at Pontiac. Howard is at a state prison in Menard and Orange is at Cook County Jail in Chicago.

Orange is in jail rather than prison because of a succession of court dates.

"Three years ago, I described it as a shameful scorecard, and that's what it is -- truly shameful; so I did the only thing I could do, I put on a moratorium," Ryan said. "A lot of people called that courageous. ... It wasn't courageous, it was just the right thing to do."

According to The Associated Press, Hobley's sister, Robin, burst into tears Friday morning as she read an advance copy of the speech handed out by the governor's aides while she and other guests waited for him to arrive at DePaul.

"I've read so many horrible transcripts in the last 15 years, I can't believe what I'm reading," she said. "I'm speechless right now."

Ollie Dodds, whose 34-year-old daughter, Johnnie Dodds, died in an apartment fire that Hobley was convicted of setting, said she was saddened by Ryan's decision.

"I don't know how he could do it. It's a hurting thing to hear him say something like that," she told the AP, adding that she still believes Hobley is responsible. "He doesn't deserve to be out there."

Four inmates were tortured, governor says
The four pardoned men are part of the so-called "Burge 10" death row inmates who say they had confessions tortured out of them by police under the direction of Chicago Police Commander Jon Burge. He was fired after internal police investigators found systemic evidence of physical abuse of suspects.

The four men "were tortured," the governor said. "There isn't any question about that."

He discussed their cases in his speech.

• Police said Patterson, 38, confessed to the April 1986 stabbing of an elderly couple in Chicago. Patterson never signed the confession and during his interrogation scrawled, "I lie about murders, police threaten me with violence," into a bench with a paper clip.

• Hobley, 42, was convicted of killing seven people in an arson fire in 1987. Private investigators later developed evidence that a metal gas can found at the scene used to connect Hobley to the arson was planted. He long contended he was a torture victim, too.

• Orange, 52, was sentenced to die for taking part in the stabbing of his former girlfriend, her 10-year-old son and two others. The conviction came despite Orange's description of torture and testimony that his half brother, Leonard Kidd, was the one who stabbed the victims. Kidd, also on death row, claims he too was tortured into confessing.

• Howard, 40, was convicted in a 1987 murder and also contended he had been tortured.

They "four men did not know each other," Ryan said, "all getting beaten and tortured and convicted on the same basis of the confessions that they allegedly provided. They are perfect examples of what is so terribly broken about our system."

Full Story: CNN

I listened to him of TV (well, mostly, it's a noisy house) & he sounded very earnest. To bad it's 48 hours until he's out of a job. I'd like to see a pol take this kind of action at the beginning of their career & not the end.

Ryan, who leaves office Monday, pardoned four death row inmates Friday after determining they had been tortured into confessing crimes they did not commit.

"Our capital system is haunted by the demon of error: error in determining guilt and error in determining who among the guilty deserves to die. What effect was race having? What effect was poverty having?

"Because of all these reasons, today I am commuting the sentences of all death row inmates," Ryan said.

He did both. They should make some kind of requirement that you can't pardon or commute within six months of the end of your term. I mean, if he really wanted to do this, he couldn't have done it before? Doesn't make political sense I guess, too much heat to face. :shrug:

"Hi. "Remember me?"

A federal jury convicted former Gov. George Ryan today on all charges that as secretary of state he steered state business to cronies in return for vacations, gifts and other benefits for himself and his family.

Lobbyist Lawrence Warner, a close Ryan friend, was also found guilty on all charges against him in the historic trial.

On their 11th day of deliberations, the six-woman, six-man jury found Ryan, 72, guilty on 18 counts of racketeering, mail fraud, false statements and tax violations. Warner, 67, was convicted on 12 counts of racketeering, mail fraud, extortion, money laundering and evading cash-reporting requirements.

ChiTown Trib

Been done before

On Jan. 16, 1979, Lamar Alexander was sworn in as governor of Tennessee, three days before his scheduled inauguration, to prevent outgoing Gov. Ray Blanton from commuting the sentences of any more prisoners.

Blanton, a Democrat who had served in Congress before being elected governor in 1974, had ordered commutations or pardons for 24 convicted murderers and 28 other prisoners before his signing frenzy ended with Alexander's surprise swearing-in. Those 52 last-minute pardons came a month after three state employees, including two members of his office legal staff, were arrested by the FBI and charged with extortion and conspiracy to sell pardons, paroles and commutations.

That scandal made Fred Thompson famous in 1977 when he represented Marie Ragghianti, former chairwoman of the state's Pardons and Paroles Board. When she tried to blow the whistle on the money-for-pardons scheme, Blanton fired her. Thompson helped her sue for reinstatement and won. The sordid tale became a book, "Marie, A True Story," and the 1985 film "Marie," in which Thompson played himself and launched his film career. Given his background with Blanton and as a lawyer on the Senate Watergate committee, it's no surprise that Thompson became one of the Clinton administration's most tenacious critics on issues involving abuse of power and the rule of law.

There was even a minor radio hit called "Pardon Me Ray" about this mess. It was the opening salvo for a wholesale overhaul of the parole system in Tennessee. I was still in school when it happened, but Lord knows I've heard about it with this job.

Try living here. In fact, the second DMV they raided is the one closest to us and where we went to get our licenses (legally).

I don't know about the pardon, as this could get interesting for our upcoming election. Ryan was a Republican, and our current guv is a Democrat (Rod Blagojevich). He's gonna be in a tight race this election, but using the verdict and Ryan's affiliation to his opponent Judy Baar Topinka, it could work to his advantage. Pardoning him would be foolish before the election in November. I have a feeling we're gonna see the video of Topinka and Ryan dancing together at a polka in TV commercials down the road... it was quite funny during the primaries.

Back