I'm moving...

Ok, so I'm really not, but if they would like to pull fiber down to here, I'd be happy. :D

Since I refuse to give the NY Times any of my info, I can't read the article... but I sure as hell hope the internet access isn't church-run.

Hmm, it let me see the story without giving up any info. I'd be more than happy to pay $28 a month for that kind of bandwidth, no matter whether it's more than I really need or not. I'm sure I could find a use for it.

Of course, if it's state-run, what are the odds of KaZaa working on it?

Inkara1 said:
Since I refuse to give the NY Times any of my info, I can't read the article... but I sure as hell hope the internet access isn't church-run.

Well, It is Utah, isn't it?

Just so you guys know, there are way more Mormons living in California than there are in Utah. And the state with the highest density of Mormons is Idaho, not Utah. I believe that Utah is 60% Mormon (that's registered members, not "practicing" ones), so you can take a gander at what Idaho is.

American Fork and Springville are two Utah cities with 100mb connections at $40/mo. I believe it is.

A company called Airswitch hooked these cities up and originally charged $30/mo for the 100mb with an option to do 10mb for $20/mo.

Then a company called Switchpoint bought Airswitch and they left town. The cities of American Fork and Springville, under pressure from its citizens, bought Switchpoint's equipment and set up city-run ISP's.

Last I heard, Switchpoint was wiring Denver with 100mb connections.

StuTheWise said:
Just so you guys know, there are way more Mormons living in California than there are in Utah.

Pretty sizable populations in AZ and NM as well.

Yeah... when Brigham Young first came here and all the Mormons followed, ol' BY wanted to make the state of Deseret and his plans were for a huge state the size of Utah and all the surrounding states combined. So Mormons settled all around Utah.

The thing about California is their population. There are about 10x more people living in that state so the density of Mormons is so small, you might not ever meet one.

I, however, live in the most dense (Mormon wise) city in the world (88%). You walk into the Wal-Mart here and nearly 9 out of every 10 people in there are Mormon. It's kind of weird for me to think about that sometimes... but at the same time there is a level of comfort that comes with knowing everybody around you has the same beliefs.

Even though Mormons don't practice polygamy, there are a lot of off-shoot churches in smaller Utah towns that do. The funny thing is, they all look like inbreds :lol2: <--two brothers from small UT town

Idaho has to be confused. All those mormons hangin' out with all those hippies.

Sure, there are more Mormons in California than Utah. There are almost more Mexicans in California than in Mexico, too.

Back