I'm stupid

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It's finally happened. My middle son has a mite of a disability, Apraxia. He's 8 now, and speaking fairly well all things considered, but it's affecting his reading aloud, his spelling and other writing output.

He told me this morning on the way to school that he was happy that he was doing well this year, I told him if he kept doing his best he'd be amazed at what he could get done this year...I said you will be shocked - you're smart.

He says dead seriously, I quote - "No I'm not, I'm stupid. I can't even spell little words."

We were close to the school so I didn't have much time to get into it...I told him again that his brain doesn't quite work the same as everyone else, just because he can't get it down on paper doesn't mean he doesn't know it, that he's really smart, etc. He had this look on his face like...yeah right mom, whatever.

My gawd, the boy has enough problems. That's the last thing he needs to be thinking about himself :eh:

Re: O

Now, that was wierd. When I first saw this, the title was simply O, and the text was blank. My first response now makes zero sense.

Re: O

yeah...somehow I'll have to do it. First step is to talk to the school again I guess about what's going on this year.

I live on that page some weeks btw.

so...
we got the results of his hard-fought-for language testing today.

basically,
Receptive Language - 2nd percentile for his age
Expressive Language - 10th percentile for his age.

He's a brilliant kid trapped in a brain that can't process received information or effectively put it out. I'm sad for him. This isn't something he will grow out of...he can only learn coping strategies. so...the school will be making accommodations for him in the classroom. After that, I dunno.

Central Auditory Processing Disorder, or capd. Do a google on it and see what you think. It's a fairly new diagnosis, may be crap but it makes sense for our youngest too. Basically the cure is training, no drugs to help. They use what's called an auditory trainer, basically the teacher wears a mic and the kids wears headphones. Seperates out the other noise so the kid can concentrate on the teacher.

Leslie said:
It's finally happened. My middle son has a mite of a disability, Apraxia. He's 8 now, and speaking fairly well all things considered, but it's affecting his reading aloud, his spelling and other writing output.

He told me this morning on the way to school that he was happy that he was doing well this year, I told him if he kept doing his best he'd be amazed at what he could get done this year...I said you will be shocked - you're smart.

He says dead seriously, I quote - "No I'm not, I'm stupid. I can't even spell little words."

We were close to the school so I didn't have much time to get into it...I told him again that his brain doesn't quite work the same as everyone else, just because he can't get it down on paper doesn't mean he doesn't know it, that he's really smart, etc. He had this look on his face like...yeah right mom, whatever.

My gawd, the boy has enough problems. That's the last thing he needs to be thinking about himself :eh:

If he was my son and i heard him calling himself stupid i would say very firmly look, you aren't stupid and don't call yourself that it's not right. It has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence. Everyone has issues they learn to deal with and this is yours. let him know that you understrand how he feels but don't sound like your dealing out pity or he's going to feel like he needs pity. There are times to be soft on kids and there are times when they need to learn how to pick themselves up by the bootstraps. Granted this might be hard for him but this disorder is no testament to his intelligence, character or abilities so he needs to learn not to treat it as such. Instead he must understand that at worst he'll need some help with alternative forms of learning.

http://www.apraxia-kids.org/index.html

Now that I know what I know...that's the way I'm goin.

He's always known that if he does his best I'm happy...so far he's still doin it. I'm glad in a way to know unequivocally that he's not playing me at times - he has a sweet smile and knows how to use it - now I can say what I'm saying to him with confidence.

that's the most important thing of all.

He likes himself, he's a social butterfly and awesome at sports. So he has that going for him at least.

I am so sorry to hear this. I cannot think of a worse feeling than when your shild is upset and saying badthings about themselves because they are upset. I haven't had to deal with this problem on a level such as this situation.

He seems like a smart kid so I am sure that you will be able to getnly talk to him and get him to realize that he has a slight disability that may affect HOW he learns, but not what he can learn. I also think the sports will help him with his confidence too.

I wish you both much luck on this journey.

Back