In your cupboards...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OK, sister thread to my other one.

What do you ALWAYS have in your cupboards and what do you try to avoid having? Why?

I always have Kraft Dinner, I rarely eat it but once in awhile I'll get a hankering for it so I like to have it around. Also, Cup of Soup (it's become a regular performer in my lunch when I'm at home for lunch), bread (I love my morning toast) and granola bars (great snack if I'm gonna be at school til the early afternoon..not long enough to bother bringing lunch but long enough to need a snack I can eat quietly in class). I try to avoid chips because I would sit down and eat the whole bag.

Dry cereal (usually several varieties for the variety of people here)
Pasta
dried beans
sugar, flour, salt etc.
SPAM!!!!!
Tuna fish
Rice

we always have a few different types of pasta, tins of tuna (one of my favorite snacks), peanut butter and assorted canned goods.
try to avoid junk snacks like chips or cookies for the same reason, an open bag is an empty bag.

Professur said:
OK, now you're getting silly

The fridge one was prompted by me realizing I had eatten the last weiner in the fridge...because I was always snacking on them...and then being like "THIS is why I keep them in the freezer!"...this one is because the other is doing so well and I want successful threads...I have caught THE FEVER

We recently had pantry moths, which was a ... disconcerting.... experience. :sick: Slowly building up our stocks again, but we always have flour, sugar (dunno why, we never use the stuff), some kind of cereal, pasta, spices, pepper, salt, a myriad of vinegars, olive oils, soy sauce, etc, etc.

Well you're only getting the one at work. 3 beef noodle cups, one box of bovrill, one box of cup-a-soup (spring veggy, all out of beef noodle) backup can of coke (warm) and one box of Breton minis crackers. 3 nature valley trail mix fruit and nut granola bars, 36 tea bags, 3 can of sparkling grapefruit soda (warm) and a 40g bag of sugar free mini-mints (damn hot).

Professur said:
Well you're only getting the one at work. 3 beef noodle cups, one box of bovrill, one box of cup-a-soup (spring veggy, all out of beef noodle) backup can of coke (warm) and one box of Breton minis crackers. 3 nature valley trail mix fruit and nut granola bars, 36 tea bags, 3 can of sparkling grapefruit soda (warm) and a 40g bag of sugar free mini-mints (damn hot).

I never said EVERYTHING I said what do you always make sure to have on hand...silly man :p

Hey you have two of the things I had for lunch though! Well, my cup of soup was chicken noodle...but I had Breton Mini Crackers with cheese too!!

Nixy said:
I never said EVERYTHING I said what do you always make sure to have on hand...silly man :p

Hey you have two of the things I had for lunch though! Well, my cup of soup was chicken noodle...but I had Breton Mini Crackers with cheese too!!

That is what I keep on hand. When I get below that, I restock. Note that those are the warm sodas. The cold ones are in the minifridge.

Professur said:
That is what I keep on hand. When I get below that, I restock. Note that those are the warm sodas. The cold ones are in the minifridge.

I gathered that :p

Well what you didn't gather is that I didn't mention the can of spray cheese in that cupboard since it's only a recent addition, and won't be replaced when it's empty. It would be, but it's too far to NY to replace every week.

Professur said:
Well what you didn't gather is that I didn't mention the can of spray cheese in that cupboard since it's only a recent addition, and won't be replaced when it's empty. It would be, but it's too far to NY to replace every week.

You know what you're gonna get for being a pain...

Spray cheese is NY?? I would think it's more Middle America than anywhere else.

I always have just about everything I ever need to cook or bake anything in my cupboards, including the following: many types of pasta (usually only Barilla and DeCecco), ramen noodles, chicken broth, rices (jasmine, basmati, arborio and Minute), Barilla tomato basil sauce, PowerBar Harvest bars (toffee chip), nuts (usually pistachios and cashews for eating and walnuts and pecans for baking), flour, sugar, brown sugar, yeast, baking chocolate (mostly the good stuff -- unsweetened blocks of Scharffen Berger, dark Guittard disks and semisweet chips, and DeZaan cocoa), farina, Quaker whole oats, canned Progresso soups, tuna, Cheez-Its and/or Herr's Potato Stix and at least one package of cookies, usually Pepperidge Farm Nantuckets or Double Chocolate Milanos, or chocolates (usually Ferrero Rocher or Lindt dark chocolate hazelnut bars).

Yes, I am a snackaholic. No, I do not weigh 300 pounds, or even 200 pounds or even (I don't think any longer) 150 pounds. :D

abooja said:
Spray cheese is NY?? I would think it's more Middle America than anywhere else.

I always have just about everything I ever need to cook or bake anything in my cupboards, including the following: many types of pasta (usually only Barilla and DeCecco), ramen noodles, chicken broth, rices (jasmine, basmati, arborio and Minute), Barilla tomato basil sauce, PowerBar Harvest bars (toffee chip), nuts (usually pistachios and cashews for eating and walnuts and pecans for baking), flour, sugar, brown sugar, yeast, baking chocolate (mostly the good stuff -- unsweetened blocks of Scharffen Berger, dark Guittard disks and semisweet chips, and DeZaan cocoa), farina, Quaker whole oats, canned Progresso soups, tuna, Cheez-Its and/or Herr's Potato Stix and at least one package of cookies, usually Pepperidge Farm Nantuckets or Double Chocolate Milanos, or chocolates (usually Ferrero Rocher or Lindt dark chocolate hazelnut bars).

Yes, I am a snackaholic. No, I do not weigh 300 pounds, or even 200 pounds or even (I don't think any longer) 150 pounds. :D
I think he means he buys it in NY.

Professur said:
i mean I can't buy it in Que.

That's sad...some gas station in Quebec has the tastiest pre made subs I have ever had...they have a spray cheese type substance on them...it's to melty to be solid cheese but to solidy to be cheez whiz...

I misread that. It's too far to NY for spray cheese, not far too NY.

Like, can't you buy it online if you like it that much? Surely, that stuff doesn't need to ever be refrigerated.

Back