Indianapolis formula one!

Who cares. I have to drive there & get my truck in a couple of hours & it's gonna be a headache with all those race fans wandering about.

Gonz said:
Who cares. I have to drive there & get my truck in a couple of hours & it's gonna be a headache with all those race fans wandering about.
I think they'll mostly be long gone in a couple of hours. Every team in F-1 should drop Michelin out of hand.

I've never seen anything like this!

Looks like the tires on the six cars running are coming apart!

They always look like:
20 cars line up for the start of the race
then right before the green flag
14 of them pull into the pit and refuse to race?

Must be a euro peon thing?

Winky said:
They always look like:
20 cars line up for the start of the race
then right before the green flag
14 of them pull into the pit and refuse to race?

Must be a euro peon thing?

No, no. The tires always look like (to me anyway) they're falling apart. Frequently they do. You know they changed the rule this year that you have to qualify and race on one set of tires, right? The Michelin teams knew they couldn't get close to finishing on the tires they had. I think the drivers would've gone anyway (most of them) but the teams had the final say. Did you want them to go out and race knowing that most of them would probably crash due to tire failure? I've been following F-1 since I was a little kid and this pissing contest between the team owners and the FIA has continued through all that time. It was certainly a contributing factor here, but not the only one. The fans (as usual) are the ones that got fucked.

To me the upshot is that Michelin is under contract to provide suitable tires for the teams that use their tires. They knew the first day of practice that there was a problem. Should they have penalized the Bridgestone runners because of it? I don't think so. I do think it's worth noting that Bridgestone owns Firestone and Firestone makes all the tires for the IRL though. Still, IMO it was Michelin's responsibility first, although the silly rest of the shit was certainly ridiculous.

yeah I know'd all that
but still it was the durndest thang I ever saw'ed

Poor widdle F-1 cars could handle turn 13 @ Indy

Wussies

Winky said:
yeah I know'd all that
but still it was the durndest thang I ever saw'ed

Poor widdle F-1 cars could handle turn 13 @ Indy

Wussies
Sure they could. Just not the ones with the French tires (ooh, sorry, tyres). :D

Michelin, which I used to use exclusively, has turned into a pile of flaming shit. I put 60,000 mile jobs on the wife's car, and had the tread wear down to the indicators in 35,000. My mother had the exact same issue. Never again, man. There are brand new Goodyears on that Taurus now.

Michelin screwed the pooch on this one.

They didn't do their homework, brought the wrong compounds, so the drivers and the fans paid the price. No matter how much they want to blame the banking, or the resurfacing of the track---bottom line, they fucked up.

Bridgestone is a sister company of Firestone. When Firestone did the IRL test, the information was passed along. Bridgestone came prepared.

HomeLAN said:
Michelin, which I used to use exclusively, has turned into a pile of flaming shit. I put 60,000 mile jobs on the wife's car, and had the tread wear down to the indicators in 35,000. My mother had the exact same issue. Never again, man. There are brand new Goodyears on that Taurus now.
I've been happy with my Toyo tires so far.

Michelin went wrong way, sure, but the responsability for this whole fiasco is solely of FIA. They should have considered an alternative to the rules when they made it. I could think of a dozen political solutions to preserve the event. They did choose to fight with the teams. It was clear they wouldn't not race...

SouthernN'Proud said:
Formula one still races? I be damned...

Accoridng to Sports Illustrated, Michael Schumacher made $81 million last year. Tiger Woods made $86 million. Yeah, they still race F1.

Back