interesting read on the psychology of conservatism

2minkey

bootlicker
well here's a revealing look at conservatives. i'm not sure i'm totally in agreement with everything here - especially given that psychology is such a theoretically underfed discipline - but it sure is thought-provoking...

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20061222-000001.xml

key quotes would include...

"People who were conservative at age 23 had been described by their teachers as easily victimized, easily offended, indecisive, fearful, rigid, inhibited, and vulnerable at age 3. The reason for the difference, the Blocks hypothesized, was that insecure kids most needed the reassurance of tradition and authority, and they found it in conservative politics."

"People have two modes of thought," concludes Solomon. "There's the intuitive gut-level mode, which is what most of us are in most of the time. And then there's a rational analytic mode, which takes effort and attention."

then there's a nice article that in my opinion utterly lacks any solid methodological grounds. and i'd be laughing at it if it were not for the fact that several of its assertions are - based on primary observation - dead on, balls accurate.

abstract is...

Analyzing political conservatism as motivated social cognition integrates theories of personality (authoritarianism,dogmatism–intolerance of ambiguity), epistemic and existential needs (for closure, regulatory focus, terror management), and ideological rationalization (social dominance, system justification). A meta-analysis (88 samples, 12 countries, 22,818 cases) confirms that several psychological variables predict political conservatism: death anxiety (weighted mean r  .50); system instability (.47);
dogmatism–intolerance of ambiguity (.34); openness to experience (–.32); uncertainty tolerance (–.27); needs for order, structure, and closure (.26); integrative complexity (–.20); fear of threat and loss (.18); and self-esteem (–.09). The core ideology of conservatism stresses resistance to change and justification of inequality and is motivated by needs that vary situationally and dispositionally to manage uncertainty and threat.

(caution - pdf link...)

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~hannahk/bulletin.pdf

also found some counterpoint to all this. he attacks underlying research methods, which would matter more if, again, many of the above assertions were not dead on, balls accurate. i mean, golly, we don't need them fancy researchers telling us nothin' when we got common sense.

http://www.ironshrink.com/articles/070301_curing_conservatism.php

What did they find about people who sepent their life listening to the lefts rhetoric & upon further investigation, found it all to be bullshit?

What did they find about people who sepent their life listening to the lefts rhetoric & upon further investigation, found it all to be bullshit?

me?

and trust me, my exposure to it is far more extensive that yer's (unless there's stuff about you that is well outside of reasonable expectation given what i know about you). academia and all. and that's a big reason why i never intended to stay there. lots of 'tards like the ones that wrote that 'meta-analysis' that i mentioned in my previous post. but like they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

my exposure to it is far more extensive that yer's

yep. I couldn't take the pomp & pony show of academia so I played guitar. Couldn't stand being the pony show of the industry so i got a job.

WTF was I thinking?

Dood your:
"interesting read on the psychology of conservatism"
post.

Are you considering becoming a Nazi like me and Gonz?

All that left leaning biased psychology claptrap hyperbole aside; I think I'm conservative not because I was a fearful 3 year old
but because I can see the advantages of not being a worthless lying adulterer.
I know that being homosexual isn't normal
(but isn’t a reason to kill someone, then again I have the right to decide to not like
a guy cuz he’s a flaming fag that throws it in my face)
I think a woman can decide to scrape out her uterine lining when preggers if she so chooses (but it don't make it right)
Allowing beanners to flood across the border unopposed
and march in the streets for La Raza is a sure way to destroy a country.
Accepting responsibility for your actions
beats lying like a sack of shit and blaming everyone else instead, while expecting the government to steal your fellow citizens income and take care of you, is the way to go...

Minks old boy, you thinking of manning up and coming over to the real Americans side?

We welcome converts ya know. There was a guy named Reagan…
We may not all be born on the Right sde of the fence but the Lawd allows every man to get Right!

If you are not a liberal at age 20, you have no heart. If you are not a conservative at age 40, you have no brain.

selftest_1.jpg

but because I can see the advantages of not being a worthless lying adulterer.

I think a woman can decide to scrape out her uterine lining when preggers if she so chooses (but it don't make it right)

Allowing beanners to flood across the border unopposed
and march in the streets for La Raza is a sure way to destroy a country.

Accepting responsibility for your actions beats lying like a sack of shit and blaming everyone else instead, while expecting the government to steal your fellow citizens income and take care of you, is the way to go...

hmmm...

well i'd prolly avoid using the term "beaners," i agree with virtually everything you said.

notice i've nixed the fag comment. i don't care who people wanna fuck and what is considered sexually "normal." maybe you do. and i wonder why, but that's your deal and that's fine.

but the thing here is, all this "take responsibility" bullshit is obvious and nearly everyone other than a few weenies, who happen to be highly visible for "jerry springer" reasons, has that as a value.

yeah, "take responsibility." and then maybe "think of the children." throw out all you want to distract from what are REALLY points of distinction, such as...

intolerance of ambiguity and a need to define things in crisp, clear, "good and evil" terms. you know, like when you were twelve.

when you can address this stuff...

high level of "dogmatism–intolerance of ambiguity (.34)"
low level of "openness to experience (–.32);"
low level of "uncertainty tolerance (–.27);"
high level of "needs for order, structure, and closure (.26);"
low level of "integrative complexity (–.20);"
high level of "fear of threat and loss (.18);"
moderately lower "self-esteem (–.09)."

and

"The core ideology of conservatism stresses resistance to change and justification of inequality and is motivated by needs that vary situationally and dispositionally to manage uncertainty and threat."

and all of this does very well in explaining the knee jerk reactions around here of accusations of "liberals" and "dems" when certain people have NOTHING else to support a point.

in fact it explains your response as you immediately launch into some gut wrenching tale of uterus violation and hordes of beaners, and latch on to some non-distinct notion of "personal responsibility." golly, wally, if that ain't some great examples of drama queen/sky is falling and

high level of "dogmatism–intolerance of ambiguity (.34)"
low level of "openness to experience (–.32);"
low level of "uncertainty tolerance (–.27);"
high level of "needs for order, structure, and closure (.26);"
low level of "integrative complexity (–.20);"
high level of "fear of threat and loss (.18);"
moderately lower "self-esteem (–.09)."

well then i dunno what is...

wow!

that's a great reference to the mostly imaginary liberals you love to bash and try to distinguish yourself from!

don't worry, you're on the right team. there will be doughnuts and cider after the hay ride.

you deserve an eric estrada pic!

gayabo.jpg

strangely enough my score = zero, just like gonz.

go figure.

I have no fear of others. I just want to help them by setting them straight.

Fear of encountering Republicans or people who have political viewpoints different from my own causes me to avoid doing things or speaking to people.

Sure Gonz, just as you say...

:swing:

Liberalism isn’t a political ideology; it’s a psychology - the psychology of self-satisfaction to be precise. Their motivations can include things like a desire to feel intelligent, moral, noble, or unique, as well as a desire for peer acceptance or reverence, and aversion to being ostracized, among many other things.

The only common bond that truly holds liberal ideas together is their straight-forward simplicity (pass a law, raise taxes, hand out money, talk it out, etc), which is solely a consequence of the fact that liberals are completely uninterested in real solutions to real problems. Liberals press the issue because it makes them feel important, and they support it because it makes them feel morally superior.

Ideologies are motivated by common principles, and liberal “ideologues” simply have none. They are only a cohesive ideology insofar as they value their own sense of superiority and care little to nothing about the consequences of their policies.
http://www.opinioneditorials.com/freedomwriters/ebeltt_20040805.html

Stamp_Image_Liberalism_A_Mental_Disorder.jpg

wow. so you're still looking for those elusive "liberals" huh? so, can you just maybe formulate a response that doesn't involve them, the <.5% of americans that match the 'uppity liberal' stereotype. you know, the kind that think you should sue mcdonald's when you get a hair in your mcbutt burger, that think the goverment should pay for repeated abortions, and want to force people to tolerate those they find socailly objectionable...?

Who, or what, am I avoiding?

Gonz, anytime anyone, anywhere suggests that anything at all about the conservative agenda is not the greatest good and best for all people who have ever lived, you react like an eight year old. I picture you with your fingers in your ears shouting "la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la." You don't want to hear differing opinions, you want to shout them down. :shrug:

wow. so you're still looking for those elusive "liberals" huh? so, can you just maybe formulate a response that doesn't involve them, the <.5% of americans that match the 'uppity liberal' stereotype. you know, the kind that think you should sue mcdonald's when you get a hair in your mcbutt burger, that think the goverment should pay for repeated abortions, and want to force people to tolerate those they find socailly objectionable...?

The author wrote it like he knew you personally. Did he interview you for his article?

BTW--how do you feel about his point that libs have a need to feel important and it is essential for them to believe they are SUPERIOR to anyone else??

BTW--how do you feel about his point that libs have a need to feel important and it is essential for them to believe they are SUPERIOR to anyone else??

Seems to describe cons just as easily. Probably easier. Self righteousness is the core of the religious right after all.

The author wrote it like he knew you personally. Did he interview you for his article?

um, no i wasn't interviewed for that.

i wouldn't agree that "libs" are as you suggest. that being said, i have met several folks that i would consider to be left of center that are extremely abrasive, and have moralistic overtones as nauseating as any far right weirdo.

most of what yer saying strikes as some sort of rationalization for not bothering to try to understand the world in all its richness, and for wanting to make judgments of mental convenience. and if someone else if different, they must be a "lib" and all that other shit you spout.

and call me a "lib" however often you want, despite the fact that my voting record and personal values don't indicate that at all. but if it's easier for you, go ahead.

Back