Interstate 69

rrfield

I was looking up info on the proposed extension of I-69 from Indianapolis to Evansville, which as proposed will be constructed about 1/2 mile from my house, and ran into this...

John Hostettler, the Congressman representing the 8th district of Indiana, has been convinced by local religious groups to introduce legislation in the House that would change the name of an Interstate 69 extension to a more moral sounding number.

There are plans to extend the interstate from Indianapolis through southwestern Indiana all the way through Texas into Mexico in the coming years. While most believe this highway will be good for the state’s economy, religious conservatives believe “I-69” sounds too risqué and want to change the interstate’s number.

Hostettler, a proponent of the interstate extension, agrees. “Every time I have been out in the public with an ‘I-69’ button on my lapel, teenagers point and snicker at it. I have had many ask me if they can have my button. I believe it is time to change the name of the highway. It is the moral thing to do.”
As a matter of fact, naming the highway’s extension I-69 is a violation of the Interstate Highway System’s rules for numbering roads. Interstates numbers are to increase from west to east. If the extension through southern Indiana is named I-69, then 69 will be west of I-65, a direct violation.

“Naming the road I-63 not only follows numbering guidelines, it doesn’t have the sexual undertones that I-69 has,” says Hostettler, “It is a win-win situation.”

The change will more than likely be introduced in committee when Congress convenes after the first of the year.

link

:rofl2:

tonksy

For heavens sake....should we just remove the number? 66, 67, 68, 70? Methinks the moral majority is too easily titillated.

rrfield

Right now I-69 goes from Detroit to the northeast side in Indianapolis. I-65 runs from Chicago to the northwest side of Indianapolis, thru downtown Indy, and out the southeast corner and goes on to Louisville and eventually the gulf coast. I-69 and I-65 never cross, but if the extension is built they will.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
They're just saying that. Really, they just can't afford to keep replacing the signs as they keep getting stolen.

rrfield

yeah, and that's part of the issue i guess. Today was the first I heard of this, randomly found that web page. There have been huge debates in southern Indiana about the I-69 extension, this is meerly a humorus side note. Southern Baptists and Pentecostals getting their denim skirts in a bunch because the number is sexual.

HomeLAN

tonksy said:
For heavens sake....should we just remove the number? 66, 67, 68, 70? Methinks the moral majority is too easily titillated.

DON'T SAY "TITILLATED"! SOUNDS TOO MUCH LIKE "TIT"

:D

chcr

Too cute for words
tonksy said:
I've known plenty of atheists that were anything but liberal.
Thank you dear. The two most politically conservative people I've ever met were atheists as well.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Let's face it, it's just a real bad idea, I know I would steal the sign.

And if the numbering system says the numbers shoudl decrease, why would it end up with the 69 anyway?

Inkara1

What about I-420?

Of course, the problem with that is we'd need those to branch off I-20 and I-66.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Gonz said:
just as not all religious people are conservative.
Nope. Some are just nuts

I saw this on TV last night. Van Impe was going on about it.

Speaking of 666
The Digital Angel is a computer chip that is smaller than a grain of rice and has a short antenna. It is placed under the skin of a person and the chip sends a signal to cell phone towers and satellites in the sky and it can tell the body temperature, pulse, heartbeat, insulin levels, etc. and it also tells the location of a person anywhere in the world. All this information on a person would be available over the internet. This chip can also be put in furniture or anything of value for tracking in case of theft. It can also be put in food to record temperature and location as it is shipped across the country.

The Digital Angel demonstration will be held on Thursday, October 26, at the Unconvention Center (Pier 94) in New York City. Roughly 200 invitations will be issued to interested members of the national media, potential joint-venture/licensing partners and selected Wall Street analysts. As previously announced, attendees of the event will witness an historical first: the first-ever operational combination of bio-sensor technology and Web-enabled wireless telecommunications linked to GPS location-tracking systems.

Applied Digital Solutions (ADSX) holds all the patents on the Digital Angel. The projected worldwide sales is $100 billion dollars. The stock is currently selling at 36 cents a share. They call it “technology that cares.” We call it the Mark of the Beast or 666.

Back in 2000 Applied Digital Solutions used this above graphic for their Digital Angel product. The angel image on the left was a part of an early ‘splash’ screen for a GPS-based tracking device similar to OnStar or LoJack designed to be worn by or implanted in humans for medical monitoring, location of at-risk individuals, firearms control, and as “a foolproof means of identification for e-commerce security.

The image in the center is the prior image inverted. Many people feel that the line drawing of the angel forms a clear and distinct pattern resembling the number 666 - the Number of the Beast from the Book of Revelations. The image on the right highlights this pattern. Was this design a deliberate act of sabotage or an unfortunate accident of design or a sign of the prophecy?

:alienhuh:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Fine... no more I-69... it will now be I-666.

There is a State Hwy 666 somewhere or another...I think I've been on it or past it or something

HomeLAN

Leslie said:
Nope. Some are just nuts

I saw this on TV last night. Van Impe was going on about it.

Speaking of 666

:alienhuh:

It ain't 36 cents anymore! It's over $3. Ask me, I have a bunch of it. "course, accounting for the reverse split, it's still at a loss.