Inventor of ctrl-alt-delete is logging off

Camelyn

Inventor of ctrl-alt-delete is logging off

It's time to give the three-finger salute.

The man who invented the most dreaded keystroke in history is retiring.

David Bradley, inventor of the control-alt-delete key combination, is leaving IBM Corp. after nearly 30 years at the computing powerhouse.

The electrical engineer developed the command while working on IBM's first PC in 1980. He needed a fast way to restart the computer from the keyboard when something went wrong.

"At the time, we didn't think it would be a cultural icon," Bradley said in an interview.

Today, control-alt-delete is known around the world as a command of last resort for dealing with computer glitches and faulty software.

Read More

Ah........fond memories of college days :)

*in class*

I think this 'puer is broken

*presses ctrl-alt-delete several times in succession*

Tutor: Hmm, wot seems to be the problem with it

*feigning ingnorace*

Dunno.....just keeps rebooting

Tutor: I'd better phone tech.

*ctrl-alt-delete......ctrl-alt-delete*

It's getting worse tutor.......wot am I supposed to do? There are no more machines free

Tutor: Tech won't be able to get here until this afternoon........there is no point in you sitting there staring at a broken computer......you might as well go and we'll see you for the next tutorial.

Cool.........cya wednesday then!

Thank you Mr Bradley! :)

I wish I could remember the exact quote, but D. Bradley was quoted as saying something to the tune of "I just invented the keystrokes, Microsoft made it popular" at some sort of convention that Bill Gates was also attending. :lol: Gates wasn't amused.

Back