Is it possible to upgrade a laptop?

Aunty Em

A friend of mine wants me to take a look at an old one she has and see if it can be upgraded. I won't know what sort it is until next Wednesday when I see her again. The downside is the OS is in Spanish! :rolleyes:

I don't know a thing about lappys, but I'm pretty sure the rule would be, if the OS is Spanish and it pisses you off while you're messing with it, you'll have to swear at it in Spanish.

You can upgrade the ram and HD, within limits. Add a SCSI card, NIC, modem, or any number of external peripherals.

Prof said it, cpu upgrade is pretty well out of the question, most are soldered in. Best bet is a Ram upgrade, they really do wonders.

But it can be pricey. I got a quote for a 128mb stick of RAM for $800. once. I shit you not. That's not the norm, of course, but the less stock there is, the more you'll pay.

Yup. But that was the price for that screen 8 years ago. And it's still sitting on a shelf somewhere.

In the few laptops that I worked on, the processors were all removable. Then again, I only worked on 166-333mhz laptops. :hmm:

No I did not. I bought a scrapped TP360cs for $20 and used it's screen. But I still check in at IBM from time to time and they still have that one in inventory after all these years.

I just replaced a system board, ram and processor in a Dell laptop last week and the damn thing still freezes in the BIOS. Dell had to "Depot" it... I had to ship it to them cus nothing worked. Wonder what it was. :confuse3:

Every other day someone brings me something and says, "Do you think you might use this?" and I never refuse. You just never know. I have such a growing collection of crap, I'm gonna need my own storage room.

I closed a hotel last week and went to pull the router to return it to Marriot. The sysadmin gave (dumped) me with his spare parts bin. Two socket 7 mobos, two 1 meg PCI vid cards, 5 modems (usr) a lava serial port (dual) and a ISA Intel Pro nic. Oh, he also included a PII266 that's happily residing in the second slot 1 of my server.

greenfreak said:
Every other day someone brings me something and says, "Do you think you might use this?" and I never refuse. You just never know. I have such a growing collection of crap, I'm gonna need my own storage room.
Me too, I keep everything. (Okay, okay, I threw away the 2400 baud modems finally)

Prof, good booty! The way I look at it, even the things that you consider utter crap is needed by someone out there at one time or another.

What about broken stuff? I have three dead hard drives here that I keep forgetting to throw away. I've taken them apart before to play with the magnets and I use one of them on my desk as a mirror so I can see who's behind me but what else can you do with a dead HD?

Once every 18 months, my wife makes me clean out the parts bins. By that time, they're overflowing and the stuff is lying all over the basement.

Last time, I got $60 for a large chunk of parts. They guy I sold it to will probably make some money off his investment. Works for both of us.

Professur said:
You can upgrade the ram and HD, within limits. Add a SCSI card, NIC, modem, or any number of external peripherals.

Thanks, I'd heard that you couldn't upgrade the processor but I wasn't sure.

Apparently this thing is about 5 or 6 years old so we're talking ancient, and I'm not sure if she bought it second-hand then, but I'll have to wait and see.

Back