is politico an actual english word?

Spanish? Its root is Latin.

Its been a word here forever. It used to be slangish, but has become mainstream since.. hmm.. the Carter administration.

Didn't know, I looked it up in Cambridge dictionary but found no results.

Político is a spanish word, but I think it comes from greek.

Politico
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A politico or pol is a person involved in politics. Originally the word, from Latin meant politician, but in more modern usage it also refers to people involved in political behaviour of any sort. For instance, the term is often used to describe people who have overly political viewpoints of otherwise mundane points of fact (similar to being politically correct), or who spend considerable time "playing politics" within a non-political organization for self-advancement.
Also, in politics it is a member of Congress who is a combination of a trustee, one who makes decisions for their constituents (responsible lawmaking), and a delegate, one who makes decisions based directly on what their constituents say (responsive lawmaking).

BeardofPants said:
Politico
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A politico or pol is a person involved in politics. Originally the word, from Latin meant politician, but in more modern usage it also refers to people involved in political behaviour of any sort.

The word does come from Greek (root poli). But all in all, Latin itself is derived from Greek.

On the subject, I was merely curious since I had the idea that the actual word in english was politician. Politico just looked wayyy too spanish to me.

Back