It's a beginning

Professur

Judge offers a choice: Join the Army or go to jail
LOCKPORT, N.Y. (AP) — A judge offered a 20-year-old man facing sentencing an unusual choice: Enlist in the Army or go to jail for up to a year.

Michael Guerra, 20, had pleaded guilty to second-degree criminal contempt, a misdemeanor, after he was accused of violating an order of protection.

At a hearing last week, his attorney told Judge Sara Sheldon Sperrazza that Guerra wanted to join the Army but couldn't if he was on probation. The judge offered Guerra the chance to follow through, but warned that if he didn't enlist within 30 days he would be arrested and sentenced to jail.

Prosecutor Caroline Wojtaszek was doubtful Guerra would actually enlist but said, "maybe they're the only ones who can whip him into shape."

A judge can't order someone to join the Army, but she can decline to impose a sentence if conditions are met, said Guerra's attorney, Matthew P. Pynn. "We do that with misdemeanors all the time," he said.

Guerra had been accused of shoving his girlfriend's friend against a wall and kneeing her in the stomach. Authorities said he was trying to assault his girlfriend and her friend tried to shield her.

Guerra could not be reached for comment. His attorney said he does not have a telephone.

Source

It's not all that unusual. One of our local judges routinely makes it a condition of probation to "legitimize your child(ren)" if it's an unmarried parent.

HAHA....Let him screw up in the Army and see if he likes the way the UCMJ will deal with him.

SouthernN'Proud said:
It's not all that unusual. One of our local judges routinely makes it a condition of probation to "legitimize your child(ren)" if it's an unmarried parent.

They make people get married?

When I was younger this used to be an accepted and common way of dealing with young punks. I don't think it's a prevalent nowadays but maybe it should be.

But if this guy enlists in the army, he might get sent to Iraq and get killed and then flavio will come here and bitch about how Bush misled the judge.

Actually, chances are a guy like this gets into trouble doing something that is par for the course for him and then the military can deal with him harsher than can the civilian courts.

chcr said:
When I was younger this used to be an accepted and common way of dealing with young punks. I don't think it's a prevalent nowadays but maybe it should be.

Back in the 80s, the Army said "WHOA NELLY!!!! We want edumacated killers with diplomas. No more little snots pissing off daddy.

chcr said:
IT's just that for a while the Army got picky, didn't want the delinquents the judges were sending them. I happen to think they need a division of thier own.

PT said:
IT's just that for a while the Army got picky, didn't want the delinquents the judges were sending them. I happen to think they need a division of thier own.
I disagree. Stick them in with everyone else. The ones that can't or won't behave, send those to a military prison. I'll bet you more than half make it.

Nixy said:
They make people get married?

They make them legitimize the child(ren). Marry the other parent or legally adopt the kid(s) so if/when the thug goes back to jail the entire burden for raising said kid(s) doesn't fall to the taxpayers.

Back