It's all over but the shouting

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
First Kodak, now Nikon.

The SLR is on life support. Too bad.

NEW YORK - Nikon Corp., which helped popularize the 35 mm camera five decades ago, will stop making most of its film cameras to concentrate on digital models.

The Japanese company said it wants to focus on ``business categories that continue to demonstrate the strongest growth'' as sales of film cameras shrink.

Nikon will discontinue seven film-camera models, leaving in production only the top-line model, the F6, and a low-end manual-focus model, the FM10.

AP

Clarification: the film SLR is on life support. The digital SLR is alive and well if you've seen how much Nikon's advertising the D50.

No skinky
tis only a matter of thyme before the
silly optical method of pick-ture takin' on flim
goes the way of the buggy-whip...

yah CAN still get buggy-whips these daze can't ya?

Normally, if you start a post with "no" you would then follow it with something that disagrees with what I said.

I'm not the engrish major mah kid is

Inkara1 said:
The digital SLR is alive and well if you've seen how much Nikon's advertising the D50..

besides what I'm sayin' is that the SLR is a goin' the way
of the 78 RPM record and the eight track!

Some will believe that the standard optical camera will always be with us

I'm not so sure

the posty merely sez they are gonna slack off makin' flim
but I'm a guessin' SLR's are headed the way of the Doo Doo bird

doncha think?

I can't necessarily speak for the amateur photog, but for professionals, being able to change lenses is key and only an SLR camera allows that.

I use a digital SLR at work every day. Those kind of cameras aren't going away; even if newspapers completely die out in favor of the internet SLR cameras will still be needed for zoom lenses and stuff.

Why change lenses when one only need to get into the menu & change settings? Film is going away, which means that when the HDD crashes, the shots are lost forever :(

Gonz said:
Why change lenses when one only need to get into the menu & change settings? Film is going away, which means that when the HDD crashes, the shots are lost forever :(

Unless you print your digi-pics?? You can do that at Walmart and the like...just like with film...

What if you lose your prints? Nothing beats negatives.

I'm not averse to digital cameras. I just see more long term problems without film.

Gonz said:
What if you lose your prints? Nothing beats negatives.

I'm not averse to digital cameras. I just see more long term problems without film.

Burn your images onto CD

Gonz said:
Interestingly, some silly folks do regular backups. :p

Unless you shoot & save in (I forget them damned format), you'll be forever limited by your choice (or in the case of jpg, limited to one backup before flaws begin appearing)

Are you thinking .png? I usually use .xcf (the default Gimp file) but I hear .sgi is pretty good too. I'm hardly an expert though.

yeah so that's yer negative
and the 'developing' is kinda cheap
and reproduction (copies) isn't so tough
and sending it anywhere’s in the werld is
a click away and tell me again how regular cameras
and eight tracks are beeter?

Because, if ya ain't gots yer a computa handi & lectricity is out & the HDD crashed & da backups melteded on da dashboard...there's always a copy in the back of the FILM by FUJI or Remember KODACHROME package :p

Back