Java issues

unclehobart

Something has happend to my Java. For months now all passive animations like the smilies and .gif's like Inky's avatar have remain frozen. I remember something from ages back where Microsoft and Java had some kind of falling out and MS wasn't going to be doing Java anymore without changes... blabla. In any case, there was a switchover dealy to MS based Java-like material that apparently didn't work. I've read a few articles on the problem and none of the solutions have worked so far. I've even gone so far as to delete Java and click the appropriate boxes to make the MS stuff proprietary to no avail.

Any advice on how to unglue this damn thing?

...and no glib retorts of 'shoulda used a real OS. My Linux r0X0rz!', for it will be met with a resounding 'fuck you'.

chcr

Too cute for words
Got the latest J2RE?

Done any updates lately? Sometimes new "security" features interfere with stuff that worked before. MS is very big brother and makes the settings more secure than you always need or want them sometimes.

Still running 2K?

What's your version of IE? DirectX? Look in the Internet Options under Advanced and make sure Java isn't turned off.

I'd check the Java version first. I think the MS/Sun deal got settled

unclehobart

Win2kpro

Java2 1.5.0_09 ... up to date

IE6 Option checkbox for Java checked, all of the MS ones are unchecked.

Direct x 9

Doing a mega MS security d/l right now... but the trouble goes back months and months.

tonksy

Sigh...the microsoft automatic update locked up his computer...he's gotta restart and try again.
WTF man? I never have these issues.

unclehobart

Its still doing it.

This is what I see when I get a page that is java intensive.. like the NOAA website when I click for radar animations:

The page you are trying to view requires the installation of a Java virtual machine on your computer. The Microsoft Virtual Machine for Java (MSJVM) is no longer included in Internet Explorer. A third-party Java virtual machine is required and must be installed separately. For more information see http://www.microsoft.com/java.

The trouble is... when I go to the Java page indicated it says that I have everything and that its AOK. Following another MS bulletin to use their Javaesque system also didn't do anything.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Have you tried just uninstalling all of the Java and starting with a fresh copy of it?

chcr

Too cute for words
Ok.. I'm updated.

Do I need to get the IE7 update?

IE7 won't run on 2K. Sounds to me like a separate issue though. If it was me I'd start hunting through security settings. Look in your system logs for a recurring error.

Its still doing it.

This is what I see when I get a page that is java intensive.. like the NOAA website when I click for radar animations:

The page you are trying to view requires the installation of a Java virtual machine on your computer. The Microsoft Virtual Machine for Java (MSJVM) is no longer included in Internet Explorer. A third-party Java virtual machine is required and must be installed separately. For more information see http://www.microsoft.com/java.

The trouble is... when I go to the Java page indicated it says that I have everything and that its AOK. Following another MS bulletin to use their Javaesque system also didn't do anything.

Hmm... if you don't find anything in your system logs, you might try uninstalling J2RE through "Add/Remove Programs" then reinstalling it from Sun's website. Maybe it's gotten corrupted.

unclehobart

Have you tried just uninstalling all of the Java and starting with a fresh copy of it?
Yup. Twice.

IE7 won't run on 2K. Sounds to me like a separate issue though. If it was me I'd start hunting through security settings. Look in your system logs for a recurring error.

Hmm... if you don't find anything in your system logs, you might try uninstalling J2RE through "Add/Remove Programs" then reinstalling it from Sun's website. Maybe it's gotten corrupted.
Won't run on 2k? ... no wonder it never popped up on the auto d/loader. I'm going to try and block java via the security settings and put the switch full over to the MS stuff one more time first.

unclehobart

s'ok... it didn't work anyway. It just made it worse.

I'm going back and then delete java again and try to do a fresh install.

sigh.

unclehobart

Fresh install.. no difference.

I've gone back to the MS critical update page and am installing all of the noncritical BS. One of the 50 reports mentions the .net framework hoo-ha as a possible failing link... so I'm getting that up to speed as well.

unclehobart

Read more articles. They are all pretty mcuh telling me that this shouldn't be an issue for another full year. Gah! None of the alternative setups are working or make any sense to me.

unclehobart

I've been living without it for half a year. I could probably go another half a year before it annoys me to death. It would probably all be solved by updating the OS... but I'd hate to lose all of my favorite games.

chcr

Too cute for words
I've been living without it for half a year. I could probably go another half a year before it annoys me to death. It would probably all be solved by updating the OS... but I'd hate to lose all of my favorite games.

I'm running 2k with updates on several computers at work with no such issues and our Goodyear interface runs on Java. I don't think that can be it. I still think it's gotta be security related.

Note, however, that I've heard that the upgrade to Vista home will only be 99 bucks. :shrug:

Prof, my scanjet 5p doesn't work in XP either. works fine in Linux (sorry unc) though.

unclehobart

There is also another possibility. This harddrive is a construct from ground zero back in the spring. Windows discontinued said underlying updates at the end of last year if not before. Without those interlying dozen or so updates relating to Java, I must have been high and dry out of the gate. You've been getting the conversion packages that I have not. I wonder if there is a third part site with the updates that MS no longer seems fit to support.

Inkara1

The laundry list of computer issues we've got at work would indicate that Unc can, indeed, fuck up a Mac... and be told to restart his computer because an error of type 3 occurred.

I don't know why my av would be frozen up... it's a standard animated .gif, which has been supported since... Netscape 1.2, I believe.