Jupiter...

I took a pic of Jupiter on its near orbit last year and got a pretty decent shot strictly using a handheld digital camera on maximum zoom, max size, max resolution. Unfortunately the pic was stored on the databanks of JJR ... so its gone.

You talking about a digicam or a classic film cam?

My nephew asked the same thing about photographing what you see through the telescope. I know there are special cameras that need to be attached to the telescope to get pictures (and of course they're expensive) but I don't know that any conventional camera would be able to do it because of the difference in the multiple lenses... I once tried to take a picture through a peephole, got it focused and such but it didn't come out. :shrug:

If you have a digicam, put it on a macro setting to focus on the lens thats right in front of it. Use the LED screen to line it up. The traditional peep lens is useless since its not really what the camera is looking at. An LED screen shows you what the camera is really looking at. Without the light it will slow down the exposure to almost nil... so its gotta be ultra still.

Unc said:
You talking about a digicam or a classic film cam?

Whichever, really. If there were some way to use the cameras I have, I've got one of each...

Unc said:
Without the light it will slow down the exposure to almost nil... so its gotta be ultra still.

I don't think I could hold the camera still enough to take a picture like that. I might give it a shot, though, just to see. :eh:

I was reading a thread on an astronomy bulletin board about taking pictures with the Comet Catcher. A person had posted saying that his planets were coming out doughnut shaped, and the responders told him that it was because he needed a tighter focus. Something to do with the f value? I don't even know what that is...

It would be nice to have a camera that mounted on the side of the telescope, but I'm not even sure where to get something like that.

If you have the LED screen that can show you what the cam is seeing on the fly and disable the flash and a macro setting ... you should be able to get something.

Most Celestron and Meade telescopes, with tripods, have camera attachments that come with them. If yours doesn't you should try both manuals, and look for the phrase 'T-mount'.

Here is a site that has a price for it.

I took a look at Jupiter, but it burned my eyes. Could have been the noxious gasses, not sure. I'm not going there ever again. :mad:

Back