Jury duty

A.B.Normal

I may not be on for the next couple of days,I go in for jury selection Mon. @9:30 a.m.which means no late night Sun. and since I have an early shift at Costco Sun. no late night Sat. either :crying4: The nice part is any hours on jury duty are paid as time worked by Costco : :banana: ,so no loss in pay ,in fact I may even get more hours :brush:

I wonder if Radio Shack would do that for me... the state pays like $15 a day or something like that.

If trials end up to be long running are they obligatedto hold your position open like they are over here?

Inkara1 said:
I wonder if Radio Shack would do that for me... the state pays like $15 a day or something like that.
i dont know if its a local law, but around this way they have to pay you. the court mails a voucher type thing to your hose so you can prove thats where you were that day.

Raven said:
If trials end up to be long running are they obligatedto hold your position open like they are over here?
here in Massachusetts they have a one day or one trial system (dont know if that is so elsewhere). the last time i was called, they said that a trial lasted more than a day, they would get the documentation needed for work and that we couldnt lose our jobs because of it. it typically takes a few weeks to get the documentation for the one day.

Inkara1 said:

When did they pass the $10./day raise?

Here, it's $20 a day. They can't refuse to pay you at your normal job, but they can make you give them your county check, whatever piddling amount it may be.

Here its they must give you time off ,but they don't have to pay you .Costco pays your hourly rate for every our on Jury duty as well if you are needed to work any hours over 8 combiningg JD and store hours is overtime.Also any hours in excess of 40/wk combing JD and Store hours is OT. I have 8hr shifts Sat.Sun. and I'm working monday night after JD ,so if I do get selected to serve ,I should do quite nice .Even if I don't get selected I'm over 40hrs for the week :swing:

Got up at 7am showered had breakfast dressed and left for the 9:15 precedings .There was only one case and it was a civil suit,when I went for JD last time there were 4-5 cases that juries were being selected for.After the spiel by the Deputy Sheriff the names were drawn from the box and mine wasn't one of them :crying4: .I would have been paid $20 + $6=$26 by the court on top of my Costco wages .I was out the door by 10:30 and had to kill 2Hrs before my shift at Costco . I left work at 9:30 ,picked the wife up and went and did our Janitorial contract at the golf course.Finally got home at 11:30 and I'm kinda glad I didn't get chosen for JD ,because I think getting up at 7am again would have killed me after this day.

I normally go to bed about 4am ,having to get to sleep before midnight was almost impossible,luckily for me :rolleyes: ,someone (Kent with a "u" ) phoned in sick and instead of a 2pm shift on Sat. I was called in at 7:30am with only 4hrs sleep .Sunday I had a 10am shift so I just got up early that day too ,so Monday would be easy ( it wasn't).

Back