Just bought a new scanner

Real similar to what we use at work... I think the ones at work might be a LiDE 50. They're decent. I like my Epson better, but it has its own power supply instead of being USB-powered.

That's gonna wear on your USB fast. I'd slip a powered USB hub in the middle of that, just to be on the safe side.

Professur said:
That's gonna wear on your USB fast. I'd slip a powered USB hub in the middle of that, just to be on the safe side.
wear?....like blow some caps eventually or something?

I have been thinking of getting a cheap hub. I just haven't seen a need for it. :confused:

You're pulling voltage through signal wires. I've always preferred to keep power and signal seperate, for fear of desensitizing the signal detectors. But then, they're now doing power-over-lan to provide voltage for ceiling access points in wireless lans.

Hey, I don't know if you want to use a different vendor, but Belkin.com sells powered USB 2.0 hubs, and with a coupon code (12345) you can get 40% off, so it goes from $30 to $18.

Just a suggestion...

Hub

catocom said:
The price seemed right, and I like that it's total/only usb...one cable. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16838111121

It should work well with my canon iP3000 printer too. ;)
How do you like the Canon? I looked at buying one for our pictures. Either that one or the eight-color one (iP8500?).
Professur said:
You're pulling voltage through signal wires. I've always preferred to keep power and signal seperate, for fear of desensitizing the signal detectors. But then, they're now doing power-over-lan to provide voltage for ceiling access points in wireless lans.
They're also doing it for VoIP phones. I'm doing PoE from scratch for network-based video surveilance. Fairly easy stuff. Only problem I've run into is attenuation on runs near 100'.

I never liked the idea of USB-powered stuff though.

Cat, I've had a Canoscan N1220U for about five years, it's a great little thing. I've scanned about 300-500 photos using it and never had a problem with it. It's also one USB cable plugged directly into my pc and I've never had an issue with that setup. But the newer scanners are probably much more powerful than mine.

Congrats on your Christmas present to yourself! :)

Back