Just how poor is poor?

Inkara1

My local daily paper is running a series of articles on poverty in the county. Today's story on a family of almost four is rather interesting. I say "almost four" because the wife is seven months pregnant.

I'll post this sidebar from the story. Let me know what you think.

FAMILY FINDS ITSELF ALWAYS A BIT SHORT

With all their expenses tallied, the Brekke family spends more than it makes. Here’s a look at their finances (income is after taxes):

WHAT THEY MAKE

$1,700 Leif Brekke’s job at the Men’s Colony

$700 Emily Brekke’s Supplemental Security Income

$300 Leif Brekke’s weekend painting jobs

TOTAL: ABOUT $2,700 A MONTH

WHAT THEY SPEND

$925 Rent

$740 Food, toiletries, gas for Emily Brekke’s car

$300 Gas for Leif Brekke to travel to CMC

$155 Car loan payments

$150 Cell phones (two)

$130 Television and Internet service

$116 Car insurance (two cars)

$100 Loan payment from family for car repairs

$50 Credit card payment

$60 TheGasCo.

$50 Tithing at church

$35 PG&E

TOTAL: ABOUT $2,810 A MONTH

I should also mention that in addition to her $700 monthly cash aid, the wife is on WIC, the government subsidy to give women, infants and children basic foods such as milk, cheese and bread. Juices are also often WIC items... paid for by the government and not by this family.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Lets see...

1. Cell phones aren't really a necessity. (Now they're in 'the black)
2. Internet isn't a necessity. (Now they can save)

Its all about 'needs' vs 'wants'.

BTW...what kind of car is he driving that requires $300 per month in gas?

chcr

Too cute for words
I note that they have internet service as well. Hardly a necessity. I won't even go into the church tithe. Reckon the church helps them out any?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
$150 Cell phones (two)

$130 Television and Internet service

Not necessary. Luxuries. Cut immediately.

$50 Credit card payment

The reason they're in the boat they're in...living beyond their means. Call bank, close card to any and all future activity, cut it into approximately 47 pieces, pay it off, and never get another one so long as ye both shall live.

Personal Grooming & Eccentricities?

And to address the tithing issue...they're not tithing. If they were, they would be giving $270/month. I could not possibly care less what anyone else thinks of this expense. Give, don't give...matters not to me. Just call it what it is. It's not tithing.

Inkara1

In most of Northern California, PG&E provides gas and electric service. In Southern California, the Gas Company provides gas service and Southern California Edison covers the electric service. In this area, PG&E does electricity and the Gas Co. does gas.

I ran the numbers for the guy's commute (just under 19 miles) and figured if you take his commute and add on 100 miles for his side painting job, and assume $3.75 for a gallon of gas, he gets a bit over 11 miles to the gallon. If you assume less for a gallon of gas, the gas mileage drops.

spike

I think technically they are a little bit above the official poverty definition.

I'd call it fairly poor though.

2minkey

bootlicker
median income is around $46k household. not sure what the poverty line is there days, but $46k/household sounds ass poor to me.

Inkara1

I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for this family when the internet, satellite TV and cell phone bill totals $280 and they spend $160 more than they make. Not to mention $300 is a rather generous estimate for the gas commuting to work for the husband, and $740 is a rather generous estimate for a food and toiletries cost considering the mom is on WIC and thus gets basic food and formula for free.