Just when I thought I could save some money...

Jeslek

Banned
... I have to buy 4 snow tires for my car. With rims. Probably gonna run me up to $500. :( I will see if I can get a good deal.

Yes I do, I'm a programmer / database admin / project manager right now and have 4 people working under me. Including stingray_sting. :p So I get to order him around.

Its easier. When I do something I do it properly :D I'm not going another winter without snow tires. Last year was horrible driving.

but... I mean... gee whiz. You can just get a local shop to pop your all weather tires off and replace them with the snow tires in 10 minutes. Why chuck a few 100 out the door on rims? Are the snow tires so specialized that they can only be used on snow and need to be put on when you really do get snowed in?

Snow tires have metal studs implanted in the rubber, you can't drive on them in the summer most places, they'll tear up the roads.

PuterTutor said:
Snow tires have metal studs implanted in the rubber, you can't drive on them in the summer most places, they'll tear up the roads.
Not true completely.

During the winter you need a tread design that will allow the tires to grip the snow, which requires many blocks of tread, separated by spaces that allow the tires to "dig in" to the snow itself.

All the snow tires I've ever bought had metal studs in them, of course they were also truck tires, but most places there are legal months you can use them, and if you are caught with them on in the summer, you can be fined.

Hm, you can drive with snow tires in the summer here, of course you will go through them on a weekly basis :D The metal stud ones are probably for more hardcore driving.

Metal studded tires are illegal in Ontario. Too many problems with the roads getting torn up.

Back