Just when things are going great something happens...

Aunty Em

... to piss you off! :mad:

I have loads to do and I thought I'd get everything done today no hassle and what happens? I go out to the car, put the key in the ignition and....NOTHING! Dead as a proveribial Dodo. :(

It was fine on Thursday, the last time I drove it. So either the batteries gone flat and can be revived or it's died an un-natural since then. So now I'm waiting for that nice RAC man to come and rescue me. Well at least there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
:)

shit, i'm sorry to hear than em. i hope its somehting simple like a flat batt and your car is up and running in no time :)

ris said:
shit, i'm sorry to hear than em. i hope its somehting simple like a flat batt and your car is up and running in no time :)

It's all sorted. The RAC arrived 15 minutes after I called - great service. :)

It went flat because I somehow left the radio on - I must have knocked the on/off switch when I was leaning over to get something out of the car and didn't notice. But the battery was also faulty when he tested it after recharging it (4 1/2 years old) so I had him replace it with a new one. £52.50 but it has a no quibble 3 year warranty on it.

It's usually very reliable (4 1/2 yo 1.4i Vauxhall Corsa Breeze)A good job it happened now really and not in a month or so after a hard frost early in the morning or in the middle of nowhere. Now that really would have peed me off! :(

I'm glad you got that fixed so quickly! What's a RAC man? Good luck trying to get someone to make a house call here-they just don't do that unless they're related or owe you a favor. That's the worst feeling-not being able to use your car and being helpless to fix it yourself.

I can't tell you how many times I've left my interior light on all night. Because I've never had a problem starting the car the next day, I just keep doing it. :shrug:

greenfreak said:
I'm glad you got that fixed so quickly! What's a RAC man? Good luck trying to get someone to make a house call here-they just don't do that unless they're related or owe you a favor. That's the worst feeling-not being able to use your car and being helpless to fix it yourself.

If the battery was ok it wouldn't have gone flat. I could have fixed it myself but I'm just too lazy.

The RAC is the royal automobile club - it's a rescue service which you pay a yearly fee for and get a certain number of callouts depending on your level of membership. I have full cover so I get homestart-roadside-relay plus, which means they will fix my car if it breaks down at home or on the roadside if they can or if not they will take it to the garage of my choice and I either get taken to my destination or I get a hire car to use free for 3 days. As Katie is registered disabled and has a Blue Badge(National Disabled Parking Scheme) I only pay half price because I'm a Response member - special membership for the disabled. And it means we get call priority when we need help - not that we need it very often but it's nice to know it's there when you do.

I don't pay road tax(yearly license fee) either because the car is registered as disabled with the DVLC(licencing authority), so what I would have paid for that pays the RAC instead.

That's cool. I've never had AAA but used to have the GMAC service when I had my old car. I also have locked my keys in my car on more than one occasion.

One time, I had a presentation to give to some overseas managers that were visiting our home office, I was all dressed up in a dress and heels and came out to find my tire was flat. I was not about to change a tire dressed like that so I called the GM service and they were there in about 15 minutes. I even made it to the presentation on time, I was so happy.

Actually, I haven't changed a tire in years. The last two times that happened, GM came to change it and the HELP truck changed it for me a few months ago when I had a blowout on the highway.

greenfreak said:
I also have locked my keys in my car on more than one occasion.

That happened to us one time, my ex locked his keys in the car one windy, freezing cold November day on Scarborough seafront. The nice policeman who came to our rescue showed us how to get into the car using a wire coathanger - it took about 10 seconds! :eek: After that I always used a steering wheel lock on my old car. This one has an immobiliser - it won't go without the right key. :)

It's happened to me lots of times. Espescially with the company trucks, since we're only given one key and I've a habit of hitting the lock with my elbow. The CAA guys are all given a kit of jimmies for the various makes and models and are taught each and every one. And they're trained to not yank up the wires for your power windows, or scratch the paint. They even have a cute little yellow plastic wedge to separate the weatherstrip and glass to give them room to work.

Whenever someone from our Ambulance Corps locked their keys in the car, we would ask one of the cops from the area to help. Not all of them had a jimmy but the ones who did were great at it.

There were a lot of drivers that wouldn't lock the ambulance if they went into a restaurant to eat while on call. Every once in a while, we would take an extra set of keys and move the ambulance around the other side of the restaurant and then watch them freak out and then go looking for it. :D

greenfreak said:
There were a lot of drivers that wouldn't lock the ambulance if they went into a restaurant to eat while on call. Every once in a while, we would take an extra set of keys and move the ambulance around the other side of the restaurant and then watch them freak out and then go looking for it. :D

That's wicked! :D

Lessons were learned hard there. The worst was people who didn't wear seat belts in the back of the ambulance on the way to a call. They learned when they were tossed around a little too much. :D

Back