Justin!

PostCode

Major contributor!
XP pro will not natively do a mirror. Why MS felt that it didn't need to is beyond me.

Anyway, I've already loaded this OS onto the drive. That's when I found out that this POS OS won't do this. Great.

So I slap a RAID controller in there and it sees the boot drive and asks me I wanna copy it over to the other drive during the creation of the RAID array. Cool. It's taking for freaking ever to do this.

My question is will it work. Will XP even boot? If it does will the RAID contnue to operate once the OS has loaded?

Or, am I looking at a reinstall and a phone call to Microsoft and re-register this thing over the phone since my dumbass went ahead and activated it. :doh:

Eric, quit thinking about the Mrs.

To replace the failed mirror with a new mirror on another disk
If the disk containing part of the mirrored volume is missing and the volume does not return to Healthy status, you should replace the failed mirror with a new mirror on another disk.

Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click the mirror on the Missing or Offline disk, and then click Remove Mirror. Follow the instructions on your screen.
Right-click the volume to be re-mirrored, and then click Add Mirror. Follow the instructions on your screen.
Important

Before installing a new disk, break the mirror and then examine the system log to see if the disk or the disk controller is failing. If the failing mirror is on a controller that is failing, installing a new disk on the failing controller will not solve the problem. For instructions describing how to open Event Viewer to examine the system log, click Related Topics.
Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
To replace a mirror in the mirrored volume, you must have a dynamic disk with unallocated space that is at least as large as the region to repair. If you don't have a dynamic disk with enough unallocated space, the Add Mirror command is unavailable. (To verify you have enough space, right-click the disk, click Properties, and then check the size in Unallocated space. This size may be slightly smaller than shown in the graphical and list views.)
If you are replacing one of the disks in a mirrored system volume, be sure to use an identical disk to the one you are replacing. Otherwise, startup problems might occur if the disks use different geometries or if the system volumes are at different offsets on the disks. Always test your configuration by attempting to start Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server from each volume to ensure that you can actually start Windows XP if one of the disks fails.

Is that what you're after?

Should work via hardware RAID, make sure XP has the drivers and whatnot, haven't played with raid in a long time.

yeah yeah yeah. Tomorrow. Tomorrow and I will be laid up for a bit. :D

It started to boot. Then it just went bye bye.

Didja get the drivers in? could be it just don't have the proper drivers to start, might have to redo the entire thing or try to inject the drivers in there somehow :S.

The RAID/SCSI drivers will be loaded when doing a new install. Hit F6 when it asks...later it will ask for them-on floppy :rolleyes:

Gonz said:
The RAID/SCSI drivers will be loaded when doing a new install. Hit F6 when it asks...later it will ask for them-on floppy :rolleyes:

Note he already installed the operating system, not on the RAID card, it could have been overlooked as it was a copy over and not reinstall. Postcode did you install the drivers and hardware within windows while on the normal controllers? If not i doubt XP will have the necessary drivers.

Could be...I used HIghpoints mobo utility to install RAID1 but had to use the BIOS for RAID0 :shrug:

No. I got ahead of myself and neglected to install the drivers within XP before I setup the RAID card and copied the drive over. No biggie though. The guy wants a rock stable system and he's paying a pretty penny for it so I would rather have it up and running properly than trying to half ass slip stream some driver to save a step or two.

I just broke the array and recreated it. It's doing a format of the drives now.

Now I've got to run down to Mr. Insurance dude and setup up his DSL/router.

PostCode said:
No. I got ahead of myself and neglected to install the drivers within XP before I setup the RAID card and copied the drive over. No biggie though. The guy wants a rock stable system and he's paying a pretty penny for it so I would rather have it up and running properly than trying to half ass slip stream some driver to save a step or two.

I just broke the array and recreated it. It's doing a format of the drives now.

Now I've got to run down to Mr. Insurance dude and setup up his DSL/router.

Yea injecting it is a dodgy prospect, now you get to redo it from scratch :D good luck with it :wink2:

I moved the card to another slot like it said, and sure as shit, it's continuing on with the install.

:lol2:

Back