K62

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
aboot that fire on the HMS New Brunswick...
errrr...maybe it's getting on time for a new line of work for you? :alienhuh:

shipboard fires aren't that common and, at least in the US, are well trained for.
*shudders at the thought of all the drills.

Fire Where? The shore based unit I am with now is HMCS Brunswicker.

HMCS Chicoutimi had the last major fire.

Tonksy, were you in the navy?
Fire Drills! my favourite! :crying4:

On ship we usually have one every day, sometimes one every two days.

Before we sail we get put through the damage control school, where we learn how to use the equipment,
how to fight fires, floods.
We do Nuclear, biological, chemical defense.
Sea survival, seamanship skills, and quite a bit more.

It is actually the most interesting course I have taken so far.

The most likely spot for a major fire would be one of the engineering spaces. I am a engineering rounds man, or "stoker" as we are referred to as. In the case of a fire myself or one of the others stokers would be sent down to fight the fire as the attack team leader because we are the most familiar with those spaces.

The breathing apparatus we use is called the "Cemox". The cartridges create oxygen through a chemical reaction. The big advantage in these units over compressed air tanks is that you can just grab one and go. You don't need any power for your air compressors.

ONE of the disadvantages is that you keep your air in two big "lungs" on your chest. If you crush these "lungs" you lose your air. If you lose your air you can't breath. Not good.

The American navy uses compressed air tanks, don't they?

Yarr, there me be. At the DC school last summer. The short one.

mcreareid1ft.jpg

reid27ab.jpg

yes i was in the navy...we don't/didn't use those compressed air tanks you spoke of for explosive hazard reasons. we used the OBA...an antiquanted P.O.S to be sure. you inserted the breathing canister into the harness and the harness punctured the tank to activate the oxygen. heavy, bulky, yet simple and safe.
you're right about mainspace fires. those would have to be the scariest because of the intensity of the burn and the small space in which you have to fight the fire as well as the miniscule amount of time before the major shit hits the fan. at least our mainspaces were equipt with halon. nasty stuff but it'll put your fire out.
second worse would be a flight deck or hangar bay fire. we drilled for these alot.
i loved firefighting. it was a fucking thrill! i think that probably the thing i miss the most about the navy. what are your qualifications like? we had like 13 or 14 levels of training...i stopped at scene investigator before i got out.

That OBA sounds like our CEMOX.

In case of a fire in a machinery space, there are nozzles to spray the bildges with aqueous film forming foam mixed with water.

The ships that I am qualified on are minesweepers/coastal defence vessels, so they aren't that big at all. (55m long, 970 Tonnes) So we have no flight deck to worry about.

While everyone on ship is trained, and drilled and drilled and drilled on fighting fires, our Frigates and Destroyer have a deticated fire fighting trade.

What class of ships have you sailed on Tonks? What was your trade?

K62 said:
That OBA sounds like our CEMOX.

In case of a fire in a machinery space, there are nozzles to spray the bildges with aqueous film forming foam mixed with water.

The ships that I am qualified on are minesweepers/coastal defence vessels, so they aren't that big at all. (55m long, 970 Tonnes) So we have no flight deck to worry about.

While everyone on ship is trained, and drilled and drilled and drilled on fighting fires, our Frigates and Destroyer have a deticated fire fighting trade.

What class of ships have you sailed on Tonks? What was your trade?
we use AFFF in the hangar bay and flight deck for aircraft fires if it's not possible or not bad enough to jettison. halon in the mainspaces, regular old co2 cannisters around everything electric (electricity & salt air :eek: ) on the ship.
i was in the navy for 5 1/2 year and on the USS Inchon which was (it's been decom'd) a converted minecountermeasure and helio carrier...she used to be an LPH-12 amphibius assault or some such shit...and judging from her performance whilst i was aboard she wasn't very good at it.
i was an aviation storekeeper. i worked in ships supply for awhile but the most time was spend in the AIMD (aviation intermediate maintenance department) ie...if'n you can't fix we'll give it a go...and if we break it we'll just go ahead and send it to the depot to fix...hence the intermediate...i digress.
i loved firefighting. i was the highest qualified non-engineering female on the ship...and the ones above me were only one qual above me. i was the hangar bay investigator for general quarter...[hillbilly voice]i's the first one to find da fire[/hillbilly voice] luckily, we never had a major fire. i heard they had an explosion on the ship that killed 2 after i left...something in the engine room went ka-boom.

Back