Kids' stab-proof school uniform

Professur

STAB-PROOF school uniforms are on sale in Britain for the first time as worried parents rush to protect youngsters from spiralling knife crime.

Mums are paying £65 a time to have school blazers and jumpers lined with Kevlar — the material used in armoured vests worn by British troops in Iraq.

The chilling move comes after seven boys under 16 died in knife attacks within two months this year.

Knife-resistant uniforms are now being sold by Essex-based firm BladeRunner. Bosses Adrian Davis, 37, and Barry Samms, 33, normally make Kevlar-lined clothing for police and security guards. First they saw a gap in the teen market and began offering Kevlar HOODIES after discovering scared youngsters are wearing stab-proof vests on the streets.

Adrian said: “We’ve had so many calls from parents requesting the service in time for their children to go back to school, we think we’ll have to set up a whole division devoted to it.

“Parents send us in blazers and jumpers and we line it with Kevlar.

“It’s discreet and no one would ever know you were wearing it.”

Bridie ... stabbed outside school
Bridie ... stabbed outside school

Isobel Ball, 39, of Romford, Essex, contacted BladeRunner after her daughter Amy, 13, was mugged for her mobile on a school bus. She said: “I’ve been worried sick. Knife crime is a real problem facing the youth of today. She’ll have a stab-proof blazer for as long as she’s at school, or until the Government does something about the menace on our streets.”

Amy said: “I feel a lot more at ease knowing I’m protected.”

Kimberley Starr supports stab-proof clothes for children since her daughter Bridie, 14, was knifed in the stomach outside her Bristol school. Care worker Kimberley, 45, said: “If she had been wearing it, she wouldn’t have had to spend two weeks in hospital.”

Kevlar is a light synthetic fibre that can be spun into a fabric five times stronger than steel.

Get yours while your kids are still breathing.

Source

Once the knives are banned the police needs to sweep through every house to make sure that no knife remains in any kitchen or workshop. Everything in British cuisine will now have to be spoon based ...dull spoons now. Just try carving that roast with a melon baller. Glass will also have to be banned as broken shards are quite sharp indeed. Also... all trees will have to be burned down as small branches can be sharpend up or... god forbid... be used as clubs.

Bulletproof backpacks in U.S.
By GLENN KAUTH -- Sun Media
The Edmonton Sun

EDMONTON -- It's almost back to school time -- picked up your bulletproof backpack yet?

Although not yet available in Canada, the makers of the new bulletproof backpack say their product offers added protection for students and parents worried about school violence, but at least one weapons expert doubts they'll do much to make schools safer.

"In my opinion, it's a one-in-a-gazillion chance that that thing will work," said Oliver Salvador, who runs a private security and consulting company in Edmonton.

The creators of the backpack, however, say they're giving parents an extra chance to protect their kids.

"At least they'll have their backpack that they can hold up in front of them," said Joe Curran, a carpenter who along with his business partner Mike Pelonzi has been selling the new product online through their Massachusetts-based company, MJ Safety Solutions, since last week. Once they can be sure they're legally able to export the backpacks here, they'll be shipping them to Canadian buyers as well.

DEFENSIVE TOOL

"We're just trying to give kids a defensive tool to use in case something does happen," Curran said of the backpacks, which sell for $175 US.

The idea came out of concern following the Columbine shootings in Littleton, Colo., in 1999. After several years of developing the product, Curran and Pelonzi started supplying the backpacks, which offer a level of protection similar to a bulletproof vest used by police, to friends.

Since they started selling online last week, they've sold out of their initial stock of several hundred backpacks and are now ordering a new shipment from Massachusetts.

Source

Most backpacks, when fully loaded with binders, books, etc., weigh in excess of 50 pounds. That would be hard for most students to successfully wield, unless they somehow had time to take some of the books out of the backpack.

Don't y'all have lockers at school? That's where I kept most of my books, and since I never bothered to do homework (in high school anyway), my bag was never heavy.

Lockers get broken into on a regular basis. Or you wind up having to run back to it between classes. If you've got most of your day's books with you, you can nip out for a smoke or a blow job between classes.

Guess we were lucky then. My locker never got broken into (who'd want to steal school books?) in the seven years at that hell hole (it didn't have the bestest rep ever), and it was located near the exit, so if I needed anything, I'd grab it on the way out.
RE: sex - didn't need to leave the school grounds for that. :shrug:

Don't y'all have lockers at school? That's where I kept most of my books, and since I never bothered to do homework (in high school anyway), my bag was never heavy.

I had a locker my final two years of middle school and all four years of high school. But the locker is in one place, on one side fo the campus, and class can be all the way on the other side of campus. So it would be silly to walk all the way across campus, open the locker (and get inundated by the smell of pot coming from the bathroom adjacent to the lockers), exchange books, close the locker, and walk halfway across campus again, all within the six-minute passing period.

I had a locker my final two years of middle school and all four years of high school. But the locker is in one place, on one side fo the campus, and class can be all the way on the other side of campus. So it would be silly to walk all the way across campus, open the locker (and get inundated by the smell of pot coming from the bathroom adjacent to the lockers), exchange books, close the locker, and walk halfway across campus again, all within the six-minute passing period.

In case you were wondering, here's the layout of my high school, with the six classes I had each day:

I just didn't carry any books around in high school. I had a notebook, pen, and a calculator.

Yeah, my classes were pretty scattered as well, so if I knew if couldn't make it to my locker between classes, I loaded up on what I needed (we only had at most 2 periods in a row before a break for lunch or morning tea). Fortunately, I generally didn't need to carry much around (maths textbook was pretty much it + calculator), as I kept all my class notes in one ringbinder.

Back