laminate flooring

kuulani

We're going to put down laminate in our house. I've only ever had carpet. Is swiffer enough to keep it clean? Do those felt thingys under the furniture help things from not sliding all over the place? Anything else I should know?

The felt pads aren't so much about sliding around as they are about preventing deep scratching and gouging when the furniture gets shuffled about on anything that isnt carpet or outright concrete.

How should I deal with the slide factor? I sat on a friend's couch once, and me and the couch went on a little joy ride ... I can just imagine how my bed will react :devious:

If yer gonna power screw on any of the furniture, I'd suggest you strap it down with bungee cords.

But that's just me...

For permanent fixtures like couches and tables, there are little 1x1, 2x2, 3x3ish squares or rounds of rubber material designed to never allow stuff to slide about. Use felt pads only on objects where you still want a little slide... like dinner table chairs. They come in all shapes really:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6387&cookietest=1
Insofar as care, sweep, dry swiffer, vaccum... whatever... first. Then damp mop... juuust damp mop. Never wet mop. Putting that much water on the floor will allow it to seep into the underflooring and cause it to swell... which is never a good thing. If you drag in a ton of water from a rainstorm and make puddles... do try to wipe it up at least until it is nothing more than surface moisture that will no longer go deep into the seams.

We have laminate fake hardwood flooring in our living room and hall. The little rubber pads unc mentions work swell. As for cleaning, the Roomba handles day to day stuff and we have a Hoover hard floor cleaner for really cleaning (wets, scrubs and sucks up the water) but a mop or swiffer would be okay. As unc says, you don't want to leave water standing on it. I've got a spot near the door to the patio that I need to repair because of that.

The occasional hairball gets cleaned immediately of course.

Laminate is generally tough as nails if its artificial wood, real wood takes more effort to maintain and protect.

Ours is mostly post WW2 and some post WW1, we spent 2-months sanding and restoring it from 40 years of carpet. 40 coats of poly (35 with a thin squeegy layer) and its quite hearty.

We only have wood and softer objects in contact with the floor. The piano is on oak blocks to distribute the weight to avoid ~indentations .

We swiffer it as needed, we wash it ~monthly in general, and use a big dust-mop with static spray daily or more so with all the kitty's

Back