Laptops

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My brother is looking into getting a used laptop on auction at my mom's work...

there are 2...

First:
6.4gB HDD
128MB SDRAM

Second:
10gB
64MB SDRAM

Both have 14.1" screens, floppy drives, 24x CD rom, Pentium 3 450mHz processors and both are IBM thinkpads

Which of these would you say would be the best? What would you say is the max he should pay for each?

Since he's most likely getting a bigger HDD, I'd say he should buy the one with more RAM.

As for the prices, I don't know :shrug:

Luis G said:
Since he's most likely getting a bigger HDD, I'd say he should buy the one with more RAM.

As for the prices, I don't know :shrug:

Are laptop hdds fairly easy and cheap to upgrade?

It should be a real straight forward operation to upgrade the RAM and/or hard drive in any laptop. The question is, who makes them? If either is a Compaq, stay away from it because it may have need for a proprietary diagnostic partition which may or may not install on a hard drive larger than what the laptop originally came with. In most cases the laptop may also be limited is how much RAM you can install and how large a hard drive can be installed. I have a PIII 700 myself but it tops out at 356MB RAM and a 30GB hard drive. Anything more and it fails to either see it or boot. You may want to get the exact model of both and do a wee bit of research on them.

PostCode said:
It should be a real straight forward operation to upgrade the RAM and/or hard drive in any laptop. The question is, who makes them? If either is a Compaq, stay away from it because it may have need for a proprietary diagnostic partition which may or may not install on a hard drive larger than what the laptop originally came with. In most cases the laptop may also be limited is how much RAM you can install and how large a hard drive can be installed. I have a PIII 700 myself but it tops out at 356MB RAM and a 30GB hard drive. Anything more and it fails to either see it or boot. You may want to get the exact model of both and do a wee bit of research on them.

He has the exact models...all I know as of right now is that they're IBM thinkpads...

How much do you think they'd be worth?

$250, $300 tops. And I'd definitely go for the one with the higher ram. IBM hard drives aren't whatcha call long lived.

Some models are better then others. However, generally seaking, the average would probably be a little less than you see on that site. They are reselling for profit, whereas your buying through an auction.

PostCode said:
Some models are better then others. However, generally seaking, the average would probably be a little less than you see on that site. They are reselling for profit, whereas your buying through an auction.

Well, these I believe should be generally good models...they're coming from my mom's work...I've worked on a few of their laptops and other than the fact that I hate the way IBM laptops are set up physically (keys and all) they're pretty good it seems. They generally don't cheap out, especially on laptops cause their managers and excutives are usually the ones to use them.

My brother has decided to bid $105 for the one with more RAM. If he gets it it's a deal and if not then oh well. He isn't gonna bid anymore than that cause he is looking for a cheap solution to his computer problem to tie him over til he finishes highschool in a year and a half.

Thanks everyone!

Back