Lather, rinse, repeat....

HomeLAN

Microsoft Corp. on Tuesday warned of two "critical" security flaws that could allow attackers to use its media player or Internet Explorer Web browser to possibly take control of a computer.

Microsoft, the world's top software company whose Windows operating system runs on 90 percent of the world's computers, issued patches to fix the problems as part of its monthly security bulletin.

It listed both as critical vulnerabilities.

One flaw is a vulnerability in some versions of the Windows Media Player for playing music or video files. The flaw makes it possible for an attacker to use a malicious file that controls the appearance of the player to launch other programs on a computer.

"Application vulnerabilities, such as the issue in Windows Media Player, are a growing cause of concern," Oliver Friedrichs, a senior manager at Symantec Corp. , a leading maker of security software, said in a statement.

Another vulnerability in some versions of Internet Explorer would make it possible for an attacker to take total control of a PC.

Last month, Microsoft issued fixes for two security flaws in Windows that could let an attacker commandeer someone's computer.

Microsoft has been working for more than three years to improve the security and reliability of its software as more and more malicious software targets weaknesses in Windows and other Microsoft software.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TECH/internet/02/15/microsoft.warning.reut/index.html

Keep those Winders versions up to date, folks.

Make it easy for a non-geek, and I'll join your bandwagon. If Aunt Sissy can't even install it in less than half a day, no fuckin' way.

Debian woody (stable) 20 minutes, tops. Accept all the defaults and your up and running.
Even installing things like Flash and Java are pretty much a no brainer anymore.
If you want to run your Windows apps at some point you'll actually have to type out "apt-get install WINE" but every distro I've seen lately has Open Office.

Of course, if you want a lot of bleeding edge apps you need Sarge with the newest kernel available, but who besides geeks really care?

Actually, every Linux distro I've used since Mandrake 8 has been significantly faster than any Windows install. :shrug: The hard part is understanding all the choices. RTFM. ;)

It's all in which distro you use. :nerd:

I have to keep some windows comps, so I don't get rusty working on other
peoples' comps.

OpenSuSE gets OS-X style features

Ready for Vista

By Nick Farrell: Thursday 16 February 2006, 07:45
NOVELL seems to be tailoring its SUSE operating system so that it can take on Microsoft’s Vista.

The outfit has quietly announced that the next version of OpenSUSE, ver 10.1 will have OS X-style GUI features. This is cited as one of the reasons that 10.1 is running a bit late, as bringing this amount of functionality is a tad problematic.

However it seems that the new GUI features are designed to work on any KDE or GNOME desktop which means that they do not have to run on SuSE.

The functionality brings the SUSE desktop a lot closer to what is being talked about in Vista. The advantages are that most of the features only need a video card that can do OpenGL, so even those old Intel video Nvidia/ATI video cards will work.

Compiz, which will be the Window Manager, uses plug-ins which means that people will be able to build and contribute ideas, much in the same way as Firefox.

The whole lot is in alpha status so it is hell on toast to install and it is buggy. But if Novell get it working properly it could mean that Linux will get GUI features before Vista hits the shop.

You can download it all here. µ

Source

chcr said:
Actually, every Linux distro I've used since Mandrake 8 has been significantly faster than any Windows install. :shrug: The hard part is understanding all the choices. RTFM. ;)

Every try Gentoo?

That bad boy is not a 'faster than windows' install. I ripped through it at a much faster than normal speed because the compiler supports multithreading and I have an AMD X2 chip, so it compiled much faster than normal, but it was still 72 hours.

The cool thing is, it actually loads a Knoppix-esque running-off-the-cd OS to install the main one, so you can have SSH (encrypted telnet) running right off the bat and have your linux geek friend install it remotely, and you can browse the internet with the completely ghetto 'links -fb' browser while your friend does the install and also while it compiles the code.

Haven't yet, but it sounds cool. When I get done with PVR v3 I'll give it a shot.

It's terrifying. I sat and watched as my friend installed it on my machine. You haven't seen 'sk1llz' until you've seen a kid run command line software at 100 words per minute.

Altron said:
It's terrifying. I sat and watched as my friend installed it on my machine. You haven't seen 'sk1llz' until you've seen a kid run command line software at 100 words per minute.
l33t :rofl: I do all my own installs. I'm not fast like that but I enjoy fooling with the nuts and bolts.

Altron said:
Every try Gentoo?
I tried it. I think when Luis recomended it one time.
I like MEPIS better for a live OS.

I like the regular full Debian better than any watered down deb based disto I've tried.

I like Xandros too. It seems to be just about the easiest distro I've seen, to install.

Back