learning new job duties

Dave

started learning how to do psych evals in the ED today. our ED deals with the 3rd largest number of psych cases in the state. the other 2 are psych hospitals. its not unusual to have a bipolar, a schitzo and a few depressed/suicidal patients along with the usual compliment of detox seekers and street drunks. i would only be dealing with the psych cases.
i'd have to go in and asses the patients mental status, medical history, support system among other things then relay the patient's info to the psychiatrist on duty. if the patient needs placement, i get to deal with the insurance companies and do a bed search if we dont have any beds or if they aren't appropriate for our psych ward.
gonna soak them for as many hours as possible. the social workers are already making noise about a bunch of nurses doing their job. i don't doubt it is a tactic to get more money for the psych dept budget so they can hire more social workers (who all have master's degrees). even if it only lasts a couple of weeks, its something i can add to the resume.

dude, what ever you do, dont stop in while i'm at work. i'd have you committed in a heartbeat. :laugh:

/me opens eyes and quietly puts away the thorazine squiggy dropped on the way out

Back