Level playing field?

HomeLAN

Try this one on:

A lawyer working for the Bush campaign happens to have advised a 527 group (Swift vets) about the new campaign laws. It threatens to blow up into a huge distraction, so he (Benjamin Ginsberg) feels forced to quit.

A lawyer working for the DNC (Joe Sandler) also advises a 527 group (moveon .org). You wouldn't have known about that if I hadn't told you, now would you?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/06/moveon.ads/

Still think we're looking at a level playing field?

HomeLAN said:
Try this one on:

A lawyer working for the Bush campaign happens to have advised a 527 group (Swift vets) about the new campaign laws. It threatens to blow up into a huge distraction, so he (Benjamin Ginsberg) feels forced to quit.

A lawyer working for the DNC (Joe Sandler) also advises a 527 group (moveon .org). You wouldn't have known about that if I hadn't told you, now would you?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/06/moveon.ads/

Still think we're looking at a level playing field?

Actually, I did know. I knew about the moveon.org connection a long time ago. It was in the news during the primaries. This wouldn't even be news if the "official" republicans hadn't made such a big deal out of not being involved with Swift. Both sides are not only involved in this crap, they're using it to bypass campaign finance laws. Of course, getting the laws changed may be problematic. After all, who makes the laws? I've always thought that this was an intentional loophole. If this one gets closed, what would you like to bet there's another (and another, and another...)? In any case, either side saying they aren't involved with these organizations is an out and out lie, but that's what they do best.

chcr said:
Actually, I did know. I knew about the moveon.org connection a long time ago. It was in the news during the primaries.

You're one of about three I thought might have seen it. HaAd to try pretty hard, though, didn't you?

This wouldn't even be news if the "official" republicans hadn't made such a big deal out of not being involved with Swift.

Are you fucking serious? The media pass up an opportunity to show the republicans in a less than favorable light (whether the item in quesation should or not) without even having to make any shit up? Of course it'd be news. That's my point.

Both sides are not only involved in this crap, they're using it to bypass campaign finance laws.

Agreed. Difference is, Bush wants all 527's gone, but Kerry only wants to wave good-bye to the ones that hurt him.

Of course, getting the laws changed may be problematic. After all, who makes the laws? I've always thought that this was an intentional loophole. If this one gets closed, what would you like to bet there's another (and another, and another...)? In any case, either side saying they aren't involved with these organizations is an out and out lie, but that's what they do best.

Personally, I believe the law as is stands now is a violation of first amendment rights. Howver, it isn't going to get better. Not when it's in the hands of politicians.

HomeLAN said:
Are you fucking serious? The media pass up an opportunity to show the republicans in a less than favorable light (whether the item in quesation should or not) without even having to make any shit up? Of course it'd be news. That's my point.
I disagree. Not about the media, necessarily, but if the RNC would have admitted right up front that this guy was advising the Swift folks, they could have just shrugged and said "so." He wasn't breaking any laws, but they put themselves in this position by lying in the first place (I can't accept that they didn't know, they just thought they'd get away with it).

HomeLAN said:
Agreed. Difference is, Bush wants all 527's gone, but Kerry only wants to wave good-bye to the ones that hurt him.
You really think so? It sounds pretty when he says it anyway. :shrug:

HomeLAN said:
Personally, I believe the law as is stands now is a violation of first amendment rights. Howver, it isn't going to get better. Not when it's in the hands of politicians.

We agree 100% on that.

Now c'mon guyus. Campaign FInance REFORM. Twas a good thing. McCain & Feingold both said so in a non-partisan way. Bush agreed. It's not violating our first amendment. The courts said so.

All I know is that I hear Bush saying "ditch 'em all" and I hear Kerry screaming only about the swift vets. Has George said something to you that he hasn't shared with me?

How do you think the Kerry campaign might react if their ties with 3 or 4 527's were pointed out in an actual audible way? Whoops, never happen. That' still the point, and you're still missing it.

HomeLAN said:
How do you think the Kerry campaign might react if their ties with 3 or 4 527's were pointed out in an actual audible way? Whoops, never happen. That' still the point, and you're still missing it.

I understand your point HomLAN. My point is, the information about DNC lawyers ties to 527 organizations has been out there, it isn't new. It's one of the things I've always had against the Dems in general and Kerry in particular. The RNC and Bush in particular swore they had nothing to do with the Swift guys. Surprise, they were lying. While I agree that the media in general gives more favorable press to the left, in this particular case the republicans gave them all the help they could stand and then some. Makes me wonder how smart these guys really are.

Edit: Re. "Ditch 'em all," how many campaign promises have you seen kept?

chcr said:
I understand your point HomLAN. My point is, the information about DNC lawyers ties to 527 organizations has been out there, it isn't new. It's one of the things I've always had against the Dems in general and Kerry in particular. The RNC and Bush in particular swore they had nothing to do with the Swift guys. Surprise, they were lying. While I agree that the media in general gives more favorable press to the left, in this particular case the republicans gave them all the help they could stand and then some. Makes me wonder how smart these guys really are.

Edit: Re. "Ditch 'em all," how many campaign promises have you seen kept?

in my lifetime? not many. I hate to say it but Bush seems to be the one whp says if he will do something he does it.

Back