Lights went out on Broadway

greenfreak

Broadway musicals closed 'til further notice'
Musicians union, producers deadlock over contracts

NEW YORK (CNN) --Broadway did not reopen Saturday after musicians and producers remained deadlocked in a contractual dispute that left little hope for a quick resolution.

"Broadway is closed 'til further notice," Patricia Haubner, a spokesman for the theater producers, told CNN.

Theater musicians went on strike Friday, and the Actors' Equity Association voted unanimously not to cross the musicians' picket lines. The stagehands' Local 1 also expressed solidarity with the musicians.

Hundreds of picketers carrying signs and playing instruments went on a funeral march around the theater district Saturday. A coffin with the words "Don't let producers kill Broadway" painted on the side led the procession.

Following closely were several veiled women theatrically wailing among cardboard tombstones inscribed with the names of Broadway musicals. The march ended outside the headquarters of the League of American Theaters and Producers.

"We're trying to take a message to them that they're trying to kill us," said Jack Gale, a trombonist on Broadway for 42 years.

The cancellation of Broadway's 18 musicals this weekend has cost nearly $5 million, said Jed Bernstein, President of the League of American Theaters and Producers.

About 325 musicians put away their instruments when the strike deadline passed at 12:01 a.m. Friday without an agreement. The two sides stopped negotiating Friday and did not set a date to resume.

"It's very sad," said Pat Smith, another spokesman for the producers. "It'll hurt the city, it'll hurt the economy and it'll hurt all those who have come to see a musical, many of whom have traveled across the world."

Exchanges or refunds would be available for any cancellations, Bernstein said.

"Cabaret," which operates under a different contract, is the only Broadway musical still open. Plays -- such as "Take Me Out" and "Frankie and Johnny in the Clair de Lune" -- and the city's numerous off-Broadway shows remain open.

CNN.com

Only in New York would this story prompt an emergency message to be scrolled across the tv screen during a show. I mean, I understand that they don't want people to travel into the city for a show that's been cancelled but an emergency message? That was the first time I saw that for something other than a weather-related warning.

Broadway is still trying to recover from 9/11, the prices of tickets are cheaper and not as hard to get as they used to be. To lose 5 million in one weekend, that's crazy. I never knew it was that much money.

Apparently, they're looking to replace a real live orchestra with a virtual one consisting of maybe one or two people, thus putting a lot of people out of work. The union is also pushing for a minimum number of players to be in every orchestra-24 at least.

Yes, I've been to a few of them over the years. Have you been to a show on Broadway? I specifically say on Broadway because it can be quite different than anything else. I've been on and off, and Rusty and I are talking about seeing something soon because the prices are lower and waits shorter than they used to be.

Never made it to NY, but I've seen the same sort of drivvel in Glasgow, London, Montreal and Toronto. Yet to see one that was worth my time, let alone the cost of admission.

:shrug: I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I like musicals, always have although I've seen some great comedies. I want to be wowed with dancing and music-we'll have to do some research, see what's good.

Back